nine

Betty's POV: Today was, of course, my least favorite day out of all terrible days. The clean day. I'd been home for a while now, and one of my new jobs were to keep my own room clean. My mom said it'll distract me, so she refuses to do it anymore.
After I was done with breakfast, I carried myself upstairs, and made my bed. I grabbed ahold of my soft blanket, and put it against my pillow. Before I went to move, once again I sensed Jughead. His smell was everywhere. I crossed my arms, and moved my eyes all around my room. Aggressiveness took over my whole body so I ripped the blankets off of my bed, along with my pillow. I marched down the steps and threw them in the trash. After I'd realized what I'd just done, my eyes widened. "Betty?!" I heard from behind me. I slowly turned around with an innocent smile. "Hi." I said shyly. Polly tilted her head and crossed her arms. "Move over." She said while walking up to me. I slid over, and her eyes did the same. "These were expensive!" She said while trying to get them out. "They're ruined now." I said. "You think." She said. "There should be some extra blankets and pillows in the attic." She said. "I remember having purple blankets." She said while motioning upstairs. I shook my head, and went for the attic.
As a child, I was so scared of the attic. Polly would always have to go up before me, and she would have to hold my hand. When I'd climbed up, I looked around some boxes. No blankets. But then, as I was about to go down, I saw an old chest with designs carved into the wood. I walked over to it, and opened it. It creaked faintly, and stopped when it was completely opened. Polly was right. There was a huge pillow, along with a cotton black blanket. "These won't match my room." I said while picking them up. "They're black." I whispered to myself. Under the blanket sat some of my old stuffed animals. I had a white teddy bear and a pink one that were holding hands. I got up, and heard another old creaking sound behind me. I turned my head slowly, and jumped. My butt plopped on the floor with a thud. There, sitting in my moms old rocking chair, was Polly's old doll. Or "dolly" as she would call it. The cheeks were red, and the eyes were glass. It was indeed the creepiest doll I'd ever seen. I stood up, and wiped off dust from my clothes. I turned the head to where it wasn't facing me. I gathered my things and went down the attic steps.
I'd closed my bedroom door, and fixed my new bed sheets up. I laid myself down, and the scent was finally gone.
"Betty?" I heard from the hall. "Yeah, Polly?" I asked. She came in. "Oh! That's right. They're black." She said. I rolled my eyes. "Betty, what happened just then?" She asked me. I shrugged. "You can talk to me. I'm Polly, remember?" She laughed. "I'm not mom." She said. I took a breath. "It was weird. It was like I couldn't control my body." I said. "Betty, I don't get it." She said. I shrugged again. "Is this still about Jughead?" She asked. I looked at her. And she looked away and walked out. I huffed and puffed, and slammed back down on my bed. I stared at the ceiling, wondering why I deserved this. The light coming in from my window was hurting my eyes, so I shut my curtains and blinds. My room was dark, with streaks of sunlight coming in.
Jughead's POV: Every day now, I got bored. The next day, I'd be even more bored. There was something missing. I gathered my stuff and threw it all into my book bag. I went out my door, knowing exactly where I was going. My torn down treehouse.
Leftover wood was still there, leaving the area looking broken and damaged with it. I walked up to where there remained some wood, and sat in the grass. The sun was showing through the branches and leaves of the trees, making the area look beautiful. Beautiful. How could a place so beautiful be filled with darkness? How could a person so beautiful be filled with darkness? My Betty. Maybe she had forgotten about me. It was for the best. Either way, maybe not the best for my feelings. I had to talk to her for just one more time. I grabbed my phone. She was still my top contact. Of course she was. I clicked her name, which was Betts, and listened to the phones noises. "Hello?" I heard. "Betty speaking." She said. "Betty?" I asked. I heard an odd noise on the other end. "Juggie? Is that you?" She asked. I giggled at the innocence in her voice. I could just picture her wide eyes asking that question. "Hello?" She asked. "Oh." I said, forgetting to reply. "Yeah. It's me." I said. Another odd noise from her end. "Hi." She finally said, sounding relieved. "Hi." I said back, smiling. "Are you smiling?" I heard. "What?" I asked her. "You heard me." I could sense the smile on her face now, too. "Maybe." I teased. I heard a slight giggle. "Well?" She asked. "Well." I said. It was silence for a moment. "Whatcha calling for?" I didn't hear her smile anymore. "Um." I hesitated. "Could you come by where the treehouse stood?" I asked her. She took a minute. "Yes. I can." She said softly. "Oh. And Juggie?" I heard. "Yeah?" I asked her. "Thank you." And then she hung up.
         I couldn't help but smile a little when I shoved my phone back into my pocket. The sound of her voice was like no others. A frown covered the smile soon after though.
          After a few minutes, I heard footsteps approaching. I looked over, and there stood Betty. She had a very shy look on her face, and a dark red blush hugging her cheeks. She was looking to the ground while I smiled. When she saw my smile, I guess something clicked in her in that moment. She slowly ran over, and sat right next to me. She sat very close to me, our thighs touching. When we touched it was like a thousand storms electrocuted me at once. "Hi." She said cheerfully. She wasn't wearing any makeup, but her face somehow looked stunning. Her eyelashes were still long and dark, and her lips soft and pink. "Hi." I said. "You're weird." She said while looking down. That sure threw me off guard. "Huh?" I asked her. "All of a sudden you act like you actually like me." She said. "Betty that-" I began. "I'm just kidding." She chuckled. "Oh." My heart slowed again. "But, seriously now. Why?" She asked me while staring me straight in the eye. All I could do was shrug. "And why'd you get Polly?" She asked. I stared at my feet. "If you're looking for the truth, I can't say." I barely whispered. "Please?" She put her warm hand on my shoulder. "I wanted you to forget about me." I said while still looking down on the ground. "Oh, Juggie." She whispered. She turned my head toward her, and cupped my cheeks in her hands. "I could never....ever. Forget about you." Those last words replayed in my head like a song. The words brought tears to my eyes. "That, Juggie....would be the impossible." She said while letting my cheeks go. I didn't turn my head away. "I'm sorry." I said. "For everything." She looked me right in the eye. She opened her mouth to say something, but then chose not to. Her eyes searched my face. And then she leaned over and put her forehead against mine. She leaned away, and grabbed her bag. Before she could get up, and I grabbed her hand and pulled her back down. "Betty...." I choked on that word. She looked back concerned. "What Juggie?" She asked me. I leaned closer, but before I made my attempt a raindrop hit her nose. We both slowly looked up, and the trees were swaying. The rain started up faster, and she looked at me. "And now Juggie, it's a normal summer." She giggled. I smiled. But there was nothing normal about it. At all.
Veronica's POV: I went as fast as my small feet could go in my designer heels. It started to rain, so I put my black hood up. I reached the door, and he opened it. "Archie." I said. "Veronica?" He asked. "Listen, Archiekins." I stated. "If you try to get in the way of those two again, you will not hear the last of it." I said, while pointing my finger at him. He looked confused. "You know what I'm talking about, too." I said. I turned on my heel and walked away.

**The next part will be out very soon. Thanks so much to all reading!**