Mars Day 17: Damage control

“Sir, we have an emergency.  One of our embassies is under threat of attack.”

Ablo, I’m sleeping.  Really, you wake me up in the middle of the night to tell me one of our embassies is under the “Threat of Attack”!  For Gork’s Sake, it isn’t even under attack?

“Sorry sir, I just thought you’d want to make some preparations.  Maybe put some nearby troops on alert.”

Go get some sleep Ablo.

“What was that all about?”

Go back to sleep Monicolointzgee, it’s nothing really. 

Knock Knock

Who’s there?

“Ablo.”

Ablo who?

“Sir, I just thought you’d want to know that that embassy under imminent attack is in Hillary, inside the boarder of Afar.  We have ground troops within a few hours that could come and provide cover.  We could have helicopters over there in less than an hour…if you want me to make a phone call...”

Ablo…are you going to bug me every ten minutes with this?  How many people do we have there anyway, ten? 

“Sorry sir, were you sleeping?”

Not that time.  But I was Busy.  Come back up her Miss Monicolointzgee, I’m no longer in the mood! 

“We have eight sir.”

What?

“Eight people at the embassy.”

So you wake me because eight people are under imminent attack?

“Yes sir.”

Goodnight Ablo!

“Goodnight sir.”

Knock Knock

Ablo, if this is about that damned Embassy being under imminent attack again I swear…”

“No sir, it is no longer under imminent attck.  Just wanted to ask you, sir...”

You see Ablo, you kept me awake all night for nothing!

“Yes sir.”

Now go get some sleep Ablo.

“Sir.”

What is it Ablo?

“It’s only…sir…well…what should we do with the dead sir?”

What dead Ablo?

“At the embassy in Hillary sir.  What should we do with the dead sir?”

What dead Ablo?

Well sir, they’re no longer under imminent attack…they’ve been attacked.  Everyone’s dead sir.  Should we send troops in to retrieve their corpses sir?”

If it makes you feel better, Ablo, go ahead.  But for Gork’s sake. Let me get some sleep!

“Yes sir.”

Oh, and Ablo…in the morning…do me a little favor…put out a press release and tell them how concerned we are, that we’re on top of it, we regret the unavoidable loss of life etc.  And…how it isn’t our fault…and so on. 

“Yes sir.”

Ablo, You don’t think this will hinder my election bid do you?