Chapter 3- This is Real

Adams POV

"You're kidding me!" Ryan gapes at us as Ian stiffly breaks down the situation.

"Ryan, dead serious. Notice that Mitch, Jerome, and Jason still aren't back? Notice that we have no power? That the city is burning, too!" Ian moans and runs a hand through his hair.

I don't move from my position at the window, overlooking LA. Mitch, Jerome, and Jason. I can't believe they're out there, probably dead. My forehead presses against the pane and I squeeze my eyes shut.

The others are still talking behind me, matters of survival and stuff, but who cares? We'll all be dead in a week anyway. I open my eyes.

"Wait, look! There's someone in the driveway!"

Immediately they all rush over and gather around me, bodies pressing against each other as we all cram against the window. Sure enough, there was another car parked out in the driveway and Jason was sprinting up the path.

Quentin runs and throws open the front door. "Jason!" he yells, gesturing for him to hurry up. "What happened? Where's Jerome?"

Jason slams the door behind him and leans against it, one of his hands reaching blindly for the lock. His voice just barely audible, he whispers, "I don't know. There- there were so many of them in the airport.. I waited for three hours and he just- he never came out..."

We all stand there silently for a horrible moment. Finally, Ty clears his throat.

"And Mitch? Have you heard from Mitch?"

His head shoots up, eyes wide and panicked. "He's not back? He was just going to get pizza! I- No. I thought Mitch was here."

Ryan takes a deep breath. "Mitch might still be out there, you know. Maybe he's just hiding and waiting for this to all blow over, or trying to come back."

Ian nods, thinking. "Yeah. When we decide what we're going to do, maybe we'll swing by the pizza place and check out if he's still there. Not a bad place to hang out for a while."

I find myself staring at the ground, not taking part in the conversation. No one mentions Jerome. It's clear they all think he's dead. I just can't even believe how this is all happening. Not even really thinking about what I 'm doing, I shuffle away and head upstairs.

"Adam? Where are you goi-" The voice is cut off and quiet mutters follow it, but no one stops me.

I get up to the top still feeling everyone's eyes on me until I slam my door. I sink down against it and rub my eyes.

Dead. Jerome is dead. Mitch is probably dead. I haven't heard from Alesa. I have no way to contact Alesa. My girlfriend, my beautiful, amazing girlfriend might be dead.

A tear traces it's way down my cheek. This can't be happening. This isn't real. Any second, I'll wake up, and the guys and I will have a great day. I pinch my arm. Nothing. I pinch it again, harder. Nothing. How? We were having a good day earlier. Playing minecraft, having fun. Nothing bad.

I push myself up from the position and kick the wall. Hurts, but better. I give it a few hard punches until my knuckles start throbbing, and then I cross to my bed and lay down.

This is real. And I need to deal with it.

__________________________________-

A/N(3/21/15):Chapter edited. Triggers for mild depression, experience based.