Chapter 32- The enemy

Adams POV

Sitting in my room, I ponder what Lily and Devin told us today.

"When we were under the hospital, because that's where the power source was, we heard clunking around upstairs. It sounded like footsteps. It could've been zombies, but we thought you should know."

Zombies are always a possibility. Honestly, no one's going to question it if it is. However, I think differently. More logically.

Zombies in the hospital. If you don't do research, this would seem to make perfect sense. But the hospital was evacuated the day the apocalypse started, according to information the Cavets had gathered. It was abandoned and locked up. It should be impossible for zombies to get in there.

Humans would be able to get in fine. Picking locks is not that hard, especially when they're left alone to rest for a while.

I quickly stand up. It's no zombies in there. It's humans. Another group.

As quick as I can, which is pretty darn fast, I sprint down to the lobby. Jason stands where he usually does, along the wall. Forcing myself to slow down, I go and stand next to him. He nods when he sees me, but I don't return it. His eyes darken.

"What's up?" he hisses.

"The hospital." I whisper. "It was evacuated. Locked up, completely abandoned. Absolutely no way a zombie could get in there. Jason, it's a human in there."

His eyes widen, and I know he realizes I'm right. "I'm an idiot."

He runs a hand through his hair. "Adam, alert the guards to keep an eye on that area. I'm going to call a meeting. And, uh, you don't need to come."

I nearly gasp. I'm practically Jason's right hand. Always beside him in meetings, fights, anywhere. Forcing down the confusion, I shrug. "Fine."

I sprint back upstairs to the top levels, where the lookouts are stationed.

Ryan's on duty today. When he sees me burst out of the stairwell, he turns from his window and gives a mock salute. "Captain Adam."

I shake my head. This guy is never serious. "Keep an eye on the hospital. There's another group in there. If you see anyone, alert the guards and Jason immediately."

He snaps to attention. "Yes sir." Turning back to the other people in the room, he passes around the message. As I leave, several of the lookouts are now staring intently at the hospital.

The guards outside take the news the same way. To us, an unknown group serves as a threat. We must be prepared. I watch as the guards close the large gates that surround our base and turn on the electricity.

I recognize the protocol. This is one that we use when preparing for a fight.

Heading inside, I stop. The lobby is empty of people. All in the meeting, I suppose.

I stand there for a moment, then head to the gym. As usual, I do a little of everything. By the time people start streaming into the gym after the meeting, I'm soaked in sweat.

Melanie comes up behind me and jabs me in the stomach. "What're you doing, Adam? Keep exercising like this, and you'll be an addict."

I pull myself up for another chin-up. "Maybe I am an exercise addict. Don't understand why I wouldn't want to do this before."

She laughs. "Because you were weird."

I pull myself up again. "Whatever. What was so special in the meeting that I couldn't attend?'

The smile fades from her face, and she bites her lip.

Up. Down. Up. Down.

"Melanie," I growl, "what's so special about that other group?"

She shifts uncomfortably and glances at something behind me.

I raise my eyebrows at her.

"Jason thinks it was the group who attacked you before." she whispers.

I drop down. "What?"

"You heard me. Jason told you that when we found you, you we're half dead in an alleyway, right? We think the people in the hospital did that to you."

I shrug off my soaked shirt. "What's the big deal? I can handle it. I don't even remember being attacked."

She shrugs. "Jason said something about flashbacks and repressed memories. Apparently it wouldn't be very good for you to see them again."

I huff and start walking towards the door. "I don't give a crap. If you're holding an attack, I want in."

Jason appears at my side as we reach the door. "Not exactly a good idea, Adam. We know nothing about your past. If those guys trigger something in your brain," he raps the side of my head," then stuff could get bad."

I push him off. "I'm fine, Jason. When do we leave?"

He sighs. "Tonight at eight. We're going stealth up to the hospital. Then Devin's going to get us down to where he did the electricity. We'll be able to get right into their base from there."

I grin. "Now you're talking. See you tonight, then."

I leave them at the stairs and bound up to level seven. Reaching my room, I take a cold shower and put on the standard Cavet uniform. The only difference with mine is a small grey stripe at my elbow, signifying me as a leader. I slide on my my elbow pads and wrist pads, and lean against the bed to pull on my knee pads and tie my sneakers. As a final touch, I slip on my weapons belt. Checking that it is fully loaded with knives and grenades, I stop and look in the mirror.

I grin slightly and glance at the time. 7:45. Perfect.

_______________________

Uploaded purely for bloxiegirl123. Hope you enjoyed it.

Moooooooooooore filler chapters. If you can't tell, I'm only putting in a bunch of filler chapters because crud is about to go down and I want everything to make sense. So yeah, good reading.

Falloutfandoms Out