Chapter 13- Just Great

Mitch's POV

I stick my hands deep into my pockets and shiver. It probably would've been in my best interests to bring a jacket, but there's no point in walking back now. I've been going for a good four days, not counting stops for food and loot. Dang, I had looked at that jacket in the last house. Stared at it. Nice winter jacket. Now all I have is my checkered hoodie to keep me warm.

I stop and look up at the beautiful multi-colored foliage around me. I had left the road along time ago, after encountering another group of stragglers. I decided that's where most people and zombies would be, so I hang out here in the woods.

I grin crosses my face. Look at you Mitch! Living in the trees like a crazy bacca. Now I just need some raw fish and and Betty. The memory lingers, of all those good times in the hunger deans with Jerome. "Look Jerome," I whisper, "I'm in the forest. Come find me and I'll give you some of dis loot."

Silence surrounds me, and I sigh. I push forward, forcing the memories back. Leaves crackle under my feet, reminding me that winter will be here soon. I'm going to need shelter for winter. And I'm going to need more supplies if I hope to survive.....

Up to this point, if I saw a zombie, I would run or try to stab it with my kitchen knife. I had discovered a long time ago that zombies can't corner or switch directions well, so I had gotten pretty fast. After all, this knife could only do so much damage.

I stop suddenly. A town rests in front of me, and a hazy smoke rises above it. I watch it for a moment. Then I start walking towards the town. Might as well do some looting, fire or no fire.

The first door I try opens easily, and I make out fairly well. No jackets, but some hiking boots and a small first-aid kit. The second house is locked, and the third one I climb in through a window. I do much better here.

Three bottles of water, some canned food, a pocket knife, gloves, and a ski mask. I happily pull them on, glad for some protection. I was hoping to keep heading north to Canada, so it was going to get pretty cold. Happy with my finds, I leave that house.

As I wander through the town, I notice it was not a wild fire that was causing all the smoke. The smoke was rising up from a chimney. Frowning, I walk up to the house it's coming from. I twist the handle, but the door remains resolutely in place. I throw my shoulder against it, and I hear a crack. I do it again, and the door comes open. I notice as I enter that a chair was jamming the door.

The house is dark, but yet a fire crackles merrily in the fireplace. I cross to it and squat for a moment by it, thinking. Someone must be here. Fire was just tended to, by the looks of it. I slowly stand and pull a knife from my belt, hoping whoever it is doesn't have a gun. My knife would be no match.

I search the bottom floor of the house, then quietly make my way upstairs. All the doors are open in the hall except for one at the far end. I turn the knob, but it stays closed again. Another chair jam. Whoever's in there doesn't know much about locking or barricading, which to my best guess......means it's a kid. I really hope I'm right.

I raise a hand slowly to the door, and then, biting my lip, knock.

Nothing.

I knock again. Feeling bolder, I speak. "Is anyone in there? I won't hurt you, I promise."

I hear a shuffling from behind the door, and it cracks open an inch. A wide eye stares at me.

I suddenly feel upset. If I did intend to hurt her, I could've easily grabbed her. I step back and cross my arms.

"You shouldn't have done that. What if I was lying? I could easily force the door open." I say.

The door opens wider, revealing a teenager. She stares at me for a moment. Then I hear a gasp. "Mitch?"

My arms drop. "You know me?"

The door opens all the way, and she steps out. "Yes! I love Team Crafted!"

I grin. It's a dood. "Well, nice to meet you dood. What's your name?" I stick out my hand.

She shakes it, still staring at me. "Ummm, Olivia. And um, how-how did you find me?"

I point downstairs. "Fire."

She stomps her foot. "Shoot! I knew it was risky making that!"

I stick my hands in my pocket. "Yeah, why did you? It's not that cold yet."

She shrugs. "Really just to see if I could. It'll get cold sooner or later."

I nod. "Guess you can."

For a moment we both stare at each other, trying to figure out what to say next. Finally, I break the silence. It's much to dangerous for her to be out by herself.

"Would you wanna come with me? I'm not really sure where to yet, but you're welcome to come if you want......"

The words drift off as she tackles me in a hug. "Would I? 'Course I do!"

I smile. "Great."

_______________________

Authors note:

I was able to edit a few chapters today(yay) so I should be able to upload them soon. Sadly, it takes me like 10-15 minutes to edit a chapter and 30-45 minutes to write one. I know, I'm probably the slowest author on earth.

It means a lot that someone is actually reading this, so thanks.

Happy reading.

Falloutfandoms out.