Chapter 35- Which Jason?

Adam's POV

People mill about in the lobby. A blur of black clothing and hair colors. A glint off the barrel of a gun.

Jason and I stand in the middle of the entire Cavet group. I had never realized how quickly this place could be filled up. 100 Cavets easily took up all the space.

Jason raises his hands, and the dull muttering fades away.

"Cavets! Tonight, we stand on the brink of a war. We had hoped to not have to take up so many arms against these people, but the circumstances have changed. Earlier this evening, reinforcements flooded in from the east side of town. These reinforcements joined the group at the hospital. While we might have been able to go on peacefully with another group before, we will not now. The joining of these people tells us that they want to fight. So we shall fight! Cavets, to arms!"

There's a collective cheer and guns are raised. He raises his hands again and they quiet. "Now. We are to send out a stealth group to infiltrate the base. When inside, depending on what happens, the stealth team will either let in the rest of the attackers or try to retreat. If a retreat occurs, the attack team will use any means of force necessary to break in and subdue the other forces. Our goal is to take them prisoner, remember. Never kill unless necessary. Do we understand?"

There's a murmur of yes's. Jason nods and turns to me. "Adam, you sure you can come?"

I nod. "Positive. I'm right by your side, Jason."

He claps my shoulder. "I knew I could count on you. Is it even necessary to say you'll be in the stealth team with me?"

I shake my head. "I'd come with you anyway."

He grins. "Good. Let's move out!"

His words roll across the lobby, and they cheer again. Jason and I run for the door, closely followed by five individuals. Devin, Ryan, Amy, Jesse, and Leah. These people have been Cavets forever, and are amazing fighters.

We sprint through the gates and through the old store. Getting out, Jason and I slow down for a second and let Devin run up front. He sprints ahead and turns a corner, heading towards the intersection. We all follow him.

Silently we run. Devin leads us through dark alleys and quiet streets. No zombies make an appearance. Finally, he stops at a manhole in the middle of the sidewalk. With a lot of cursing, he pries it off and jumps down. Jason follows, with me close behind him. I hear the other four land behind me.

A flashlight is clicked on, and Devin continues to lead us. Through long corridors under the city, up and down a few ladders. The sewers.

He stops in front of a door with a large red sticker on it, displaying that it was a maintenance door. He opens it and we all step inside the small, dusty room. He closes the door behind us and curses.

"They know we've been here. Lilly and I left a few things out in case we needed to come back."

All the panels were closed. Fingerprints littered the dusty walls.

Jason examines the next door, which should lead us into the hospital. "Just stick to the plan, and everything will be fine. It's a fairly simple mission."

I snort. "Simple maybe, but a bit difficult to pull off."

He shrugs. "Whatever. If you want the group that left you for dead to hang around, be my guest."

I gulp and shut up. Looking down, I reload my gun. When I look up, Jason has the door open and Devin is shining his flashlight into the dark basement. I take a deep breath an step inside first.