Chapter 44

It was a rather cold and chilly Christmas eve as I sat at home by myself. I stared at my family portrait in front of me that I put on the dining table and sat in front of it with a plate of food.

I smiled weakly at the picture while holding the fork and knife in my hands. The clock chimes and I sighed heavily.

"Mom, dad," I said as I bit my lip to prevent myself from crying. "Merry Christmas."

Without the appetite, I forced myself to eat what I had prepared for myself.

"It's okay Jinni, you're strong," I calmed myself down as tears started brimming at the corner of my eyes while chewing the food.

After I finished eating doing the dishes, my phone rang and I quickly jumped to it, hoping that it would be someone important to me.

Jungkook.

Oh.

"Hi," I sighed as I picked up the phone.

"Wow, you sound enthusiastic finding out it's me," He sarcastically said.

"What's up?" I ignored his remark, too tired to think.

"My mom's asking you to come over for dinner, if that's okay with you."

"Of course, it's the person who used to raise me, of course I'd go," I got up and went to my room to change.

"Okay, see you in an hour or so," He said in a monotone and ended the call.

Eventhough I already ate, I won't refuse kind gestures from people especially from Aunt Shin who raised me up when my parents weren't there for me.

I threw my phone onto my bed and grabbed a jumper and a thick winter coat. Slipping into my skinny jeans and jumper, I straightened my hair a bit using the straightening iron.  I looked terrible these past few days, my hair especially, was a mess. At least straightening it would throw away the image of a broken girl.

After putting on powder and lip tint, I put my coat on and slipped into my sneakers.

Off I go to Jungkook's.

They always invite me over for Christmas eve dinner and I appreciate them for it. Sometimes, I feel like I have a real family and that's them. And at times like this, I know that Jungkook knows I can't be alone. Not on Christmas eve.

When I reached the place, I rang the doorbell. The door opened and Jungkook greeted me with a hug.

"Hey, thanks for coming," He said and ushered me to the back. "My mum's in the back."

"Thanks for inviting," I replied to his kind gesture.

"Hi Aunt Shin," I peeked from behind the wall and surprised her. The smell of roasted turkey and gingerbread men greeted me.

"Oh, hello there my little one," She immediately stopped what she was doing and came to hug me. "How's everything?"

"Everything's fine," I smiled politely to her.

Fine. What a useful word.

"Dinner is actually ready, I'm just here to hustle in the kitchen cause that's just what I do," She chuckled and shrugged her shoulders. "Now, let's have dinner shall we?"

We went to the dining table and was greeted by Uncle Jeon, Jungkook's brother, other relatives and so on. They were already waiting at the table. After we finished our prayers, we devoured the large turkey in front of us.

****

After dinner was finished, I decided to go outside despite the cold breeze blowing through the night. Need some fresh air at a time like this.

I wonder what Taehyung is doing in the hospital right now? Did he have turkey as well? Did he have the yule log cake that he always talked about with me? Did he dip his marshmallows in hot mocha eventhough they're supposed to go with hot chocolate instead?

"Busy thinking bout him?" A voice appeared beside me. I turned to my left and Jungkook was already there, staring at me.

I slowly nodded as he let out a heavy sigh. He suddenly put his hand on my head and awkwardly rubbed it.

"What are you doing?" I knitted my eyebrows.

"Patting you, comforting you, what else?"

I sighed and somehow also felt like laughing at his failed gesture of brotherly-love. I closed the distance between us and wrapped my arms around his body, leaning my head against his chest.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm hugging Jungkook. I'm hugging my brother. Ew.

Just kidding.

He hugged me back and properly patted my head, "I hope things go well between you two." He referred to me and Taehyung.

"I hope it does," I mumbled against his shirt.

"Can't believe I did it, but I did it,"  He suddenly lowered his tone as if he was whispering to himself but loud enough for me to hear him.

"What?" I looked up to him in confusion.

"What? Uh, oh, nothing," He pulled away.

"You said something about doing something. Doing what?" Did he do something stupid when I wasn't around him? Oh god, please don't let it be something to do with Taehyung. I'm gonna kill him.

"Nothing, you heard wrong. Now, let's just go back inside. My mom's calling us," He quickly turned away and went inside.

I know he's hiding something cause Aunt Shin didn't even call us.

*****

Boring last few chapters but hey the ending is approaching