Chapter 18 - Please open your eyes

*1 week later*

*Erin's P.O.V*

Another week had passed. Another week come and gone and still, Jay showed no signs of waking up. The doctors tried to hide their concern but I had overheard a doctor and a nurse discussing the likelihood that Jay would wake up. They weren't optimistic. I refused to believe that I was going to lose my partner and best friend. I refused to give up hope that I would ever get to look into his dazzling blue orbs, hear his melodic voice, his joyous laugh or enjoy our regular banter whilst we solve a case together.

I had only left his bedside to go home and get some fresh clothes. Will and Natalie had been bringing me food to make sure I was eating and had even brought another bed in so that I didn't have to sleep in the hard-plastic chair next to Jay's bed.

It was nearing 2pm and I still hadn't eaten lunch so I decided to head down to the café to grab a bite to eat and a coffee. I trudged down the busy corridors and decided to take the stairs down to the café as there was a queue for the elevator.

Once I had purchased my ham and cheese sandwich and a double shot espresso I headed back up to Jay's room, this time taking the elevator. As I exited the elevator three nurses rushed into Jay's room in a fluster. I ran the rest of the way and pushed open the door, fearing the worst.

"Erin, he's waking up" Will said, a glimmer of hope in his eyes as he looked at me. I placed my sandwich and coffee on the chair before moving closer to the bed and taking hold of his hand.

"Jay

"Jay...Jay, it's me Erin. Please wake up" I said softly, feeling a slight pressure on the hand which was holding Jay's. "Come on Jay, please open your eyes" I pleaded with him desperately, a tear rolling down my face. Jay's eyes gradually began to flutter open, revealing his bright blue eyes that I had missed so much these past two weeks. "Hey you" I said, smiling for the first time since Jay was shot. Jay tried to sit up but I put my hand on his shoulder and gently pushed him back down. "No don't get up, you need to rest" I told him gently, staring into his eyes.

The doctors and nurses moved around me, checking the machines and flashing lights into his eyes.

"Everything looks good. I'll leave you two to talk" Will announced, leaving the room with the nurses following shortly after.

"Hey, did you get them?" Jay choked out.

"Yeah, we got them" I assured him, leaning forward to move some hair out of his face.

"That's good. Who was it?" he asked, gently squeezing my hand.

"It was Bob and Susan from next door" I told him, a look of shock spreading across his face. "How are you feeling?" I asked him cautiously, smiling softly at him.

"Like I've been shot" he chuckled softly, "Were you injured?" he asked, raising his head off his pillow to get a better look at me.

"No, I am fine thank you" I smiled at him, "Other than a headache for a few hours afterwards I don't have a scratch on me" I continued. He smiled at me, seemingly pleased with himself. "Just promise me something, don't get yourself killed trying to protect me ok. I would never be able to live with myself" I said matter-of-factly.

"I'd never be able to live with myself if I didn't" he replied sincerely, catching me off-guard.

*Jay's P.O.V*

She blushed adorably before leaning forward and wrapping her arms around me as best she could.

"I am so glad you are okay" she whispered, hugging me tighter.

A.N./// So he is finally awake. Yay! I hope you enjoy it

From AJ