Chapter 23 - Quick Errand

*Erin's P.O.V*

It was nearly 8am before Jay stirred awake.

"Hey sleepyhead," I smiled up at him as I sat up carefully and stretched, feeling each of my shoulders crack as I did so.

"Hey, what time is it?" he asked, wiping the sleep from his eyes.

"It's nearly eight o'clock. You are getting discharged at eleven but I just got to run a quick errand before then. I'll be back in a bit" I told him, getting to my feet and giving his arm a quick squeeze before grabbing my bag and heading out.

*5 minutes later*

I jumped in my car and drove to the district to speak to Voight before everyone else got there at nine. I walked up the stairs to Intelligence, going over what I wanted to say in my head the whole way up. I walked into Voight's office, my mind still elsewhere.

"Hey kiddo, what's up" Voight said, looking up from his paperwork as I walked in. I sat down silently, still unsure of what to say. I fiddled with my thumbs in my lap nervously.

"When Jay got shot and I was leaning over him, begging him to keep his eyes open he admitted that I was the one he had been in love with for a while. He lost consciousness before I could respond. These past few weeks have made me realise that I feel the same way. I know that you don't tolerate inhouse romances so here" I said, taking my badge and gun out and placing them on the desk.

"How exactly do you feel about him? Voight asked, leaning back and clasping his hands together.

I took a deep breath. "It's hard to explain actually," I admitted, pausing to gather my thoughts, "He makes me laugh even when I don't want to smile. I can't put into words how much he means to me. I trust him completely and I enjoy spending time with him. It has taken me a while to figure out why I didn't realise before now how I felt about him. I didn't know why I felt this way because I have never been in love before" I admitted, my cheeks most likely bright red with embarrassment. Voight smiled.

"Erin, I know I don't usually tolerate inhouse romances but I have seen how happy you two make each other and I am not going to stand in the way of two people who are obviously meant to be together" Voight said, pushing my badge and gun towards me. "Have you spoken to Jay about how you feel?" he asked, looking up at me. I shook my head no. "I think you should tell him how you feel. He's not going to wait around forever you know" Voight told me.

"Yeah, I know but I don't know how to tell him" I admitted, my head in my hands.

"Do you remember what Camille used to say about doing things you are afraid of?" Voight asked, a look of confusion appearing on my face. I shook my head no. "All it takes is twenty seconds. Twenty seconds of insane courage" he added. I smiled, remembering the day she had told me that.

My phone vibrated in my back pocket, startling me out of my thoughts. Natalie had sent me a text.

N: Hey where are you?

Crap! Its 11:30 and I was meant to be back at the hospital half an hour ago.

E: Sorry. Lost track of time. On my way now

"I have to go. Jay is getting discharged today and I'm late" I said, as I jumped up from my seat and gathered my things before bolting out to my car.  

A.N.//// Only two chapters left of this story! Hope you are enjoying it
Thank you so much for 2,ooo reads! That's more than I was expecting when I started writing this book. Please let me know what you think in the comments. I really appreciate the feedback :)

Until next time,
AJ   xxx