Chapter 20 - Nightmare

*Jay's P.O.V*

I had been waiting weeks for this night. My stomach was queasy and my heart felt like it was going to beat right out of my chest. The atmosphere in the stylish Italian restaurant was romantic and was the perfect place for a Valentine's Day dinner, especially one as special as this one. I had on one of my best tuxedos and Erin had on a form-fitting black dress, her hair was pulled back into a stylish high ponytail and her makeup was light and natural. Simply put, she looked stunning.

The waitress showed us to our seat by the window overlooking the water

"This is incredible" Erin exclaimed, taking in her surroundings in awe.

"Not as incredible as you my dear" I replied honestly, smiling into her dazzling green eyes that sparkled in the incandescent lighting of the restaurant.

We ordered our meals and chatted jovially whilst we waited for them to arrive. I took hold of Erin's hand and gently stroked it with my thumb, smiling at her as I did so. A blush crept onto her cheeks and she bit her lower lip nervously, looking up to meet my gaze.

"What's up with you tonight? Is there something bothering you?" she asked, her brow furrowed in concern.

"There's something I have to say to you," I paused to gather my thoughts, "I am madly in love with you and I have been since the day we met. They say life is one big adventure and its one I want to experience with you. So that just leaves one thing," I let go of her hand and moved around to kneel beside her chair, catching Erin completely by surprise as I pulled a shiny engagement ring out of my coat pocket, "Will you marry me?" I asked, staring up at her anxiously awaiting her response. Tears welled up in the corners of her eyes as she nodded her head yes.

"Yes, yes a million times yes!" Erin exclaimed, wiping the tears from her eyes as I placed the ring on her fingers.

The sound of screeching tyres and smashing glass snapped everyone out of their trance. Erin jerked forward violently, a fresh bullet wound in her head. I lay her down on the ground and stared helplessly into her now vacant gaze, as I felt my world come crashing down around me. The love of my life was dead.

*End of nightmare*

*Erin's P.O.V*

The sound of Jay's heart monitor going off woke me from my peaceful slumber. I rolled over to see his face contorted in anguish, as he struggled to wake from his nightmare. I rushed to his side and gently began shaking him.

"Jay, wake up" I pleaded with him desperately. He opened his eyes and sat bolt upright, his eyes darting around the room until they settled on me. I opened my mouth to speak but he pulled me into his embrace and started crying into my shoulder before I got the chance to speak. I wrapped my arms around him tightly as he continued to shake as his sobs overtook his body. Will rushed in but came to a halt in the doorway when he realised what had happened. I waved him off with a sad smile before turning my attention back to Jay. "Do you want to talk about it?" I whispered, just loud enough for him to hear. Jay shook his head in response, pulling me closer to him and continuing to cry into my shoulder. It broke my heart to see one of the strongest people I know, so broken.

We stayed like that until Jay stopped crying and pulled away. There were still a few stray tears streaming down his face so I wiped them away with my thumb. I got off the bed but before I could go any further Jay grabbed a hold of my hand.

"Please stay" he pleaded, staring into my eyes, silently begging me not to go.

I returned to his side and lay down next to him, cuddled into his side. We lay like that for goodness knows how long before the sound of Jay's heartbeat lulled me into a peaceful sleep. 

A.N.///// please let me know what you think in the comments :)