13

Amayra watched as Carter's brows furrowed when he saw the text on his phone. She didn't miss his worried glance towards her.

The first class went surprisingly good. She wasn't introduced to the class and thankfully no awkward questions were thrown towards her. However, she caught her classmates starring at her with questions and wonder in their eyes. She also didn't miss the whispering and pointed looks from them. Well....it could also be the fact that she entered the class with Carter.

Everyone in the class seemed to know Carter. Apparently, he was famous because of his good looks and excellent grade. Amayra watched as he greeted people with ease and a soft smile playing on his lips. She noticed a few girls glaring at her, but decided to ignore them.

By the end of the second class, Amayra concluded that if she want to spend the rest of the year unnoticed, she would have to stay away from Carter. Walking with Carter grabbed her too much attention and the fact that she was new here added to her misery. She decided that she would stay away from him as much as she can. Unluckily, Carter shared her third lecture too. She was on edge now fearing that too many people will notice her and then someone would recognize her.

I can't let that happen....

During the whole lecture Carter kept glancing at her as if expecting her to disappear. He could tell that something was bothering her. Right from the morning he was at her side like a shadow. To be able to protect her, he already got his schedule changed and now shared most of his classes with Amayra.

As soon as the bell rang, Amayra sprang to her feet and exited the room ignoring Carter who was calling her. But to Amayra's disappointment, Carter was quick to catch her and in a swift movement he grabbed her by elbow and turned her towards him.

"Where the hell are you going? That's not the way to your next class..?" Carter asked breathlessly with a frown and confusion etched on his face.

Amayra didn't know how to tell him to leave her alone.

Amayra opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted by a new voice.

"Amayra?"

Carter's eyes widened at the sight of Maya walking towards them. He quickly left Amayra's arm and took a step back. However, his action was already noticed by Maya.

Amayra sighed in relief and mentally thanked Maya for interrupting her not so good conversation with Carter.

Maya was now standing in front of Amayra.

"What are you doing here?" she directed her question towards Amayra. However, Carter clearly knew the underlying meaning behind her question or as he would quote " What are you doing here with HIM?".

"uh...I was just leaving for my next class." Amayra replied nervously.

Maya narrowed her eyes at Amayra and Carter. She was internally fuming and barely managed to keep her calm. She plastered a fake smile on her face and said to Amayra " Cool...come on...I'll walk with you."

Before Amayra could object, Maya grabbed her by arm and stormed in the other direction, but not before throwing a warning glare towards Carter. Carter cursed under his breath at the sight of their retreating back. He now was sure that Amayra is in trouble. Thanks to heavens he shared the next class with her.