20

School felt different today. Everyone seemed cautious and nervous and the fact that it was raining didn't put Amayra at ease. She could literally sense the negative energy in the air. The jocks were quiet today, the usual fun and mischief on their faces was replaced by gloom and dread. The cheerleaders were not so cheerful today. The only ones who were acting as usual were the nerds and geeks with their nose in the books, lost in their own world.

For the first time since she came here, she felt a sense of belonging. She liked that everyone feared some thing or another. She wasn't the only one afraid of something or someone. She just hoped that whatever has put everyone in this state doesn't add to her list of fears.

She saw Carter leaning on the wall when she was going upstairs for her class. He seemed to be lost in his thoughts since he didn't notice her even when she was standing right in front of him. She had to clear her throat to get his attention. It was then that he finally looked up from his shoes to face her. And boy was he looking good. He was sporting a plain black t-shirt with blue denim and white sneakers. His hair was damp and some strands fell on his forehead when he looked up. He smiled when he looked at Amayra and just like that she felt that maybe, maybe this day won't be as shitty as she has anticipated.

Amayra and Carter started walking together to their first class. As they were walking upstairs, Amayra noticed something strange. The hallway was silent and no, it wasn't empty. This silence was the one before the storm.

When she reached the hallway, she saw students forming a circle around something.

"Shit....Is he dead?"Someone whispered from the crowd.

Amayra casted a brief glance at Carter as if asking " What's going on?".

Carter knew this would happen. He was restless since morning. With the arrival of school's dance team, he knew something of this sort was bound to happen. He was just relieved that Amayra wasn't alone right now.

Amayra tried to catch a glimpse of the supposedly "dead person" and when she saw what was the commotion about, she barely managed to suppress a gasp escaping her lips.

Who the hell did that..?

Why is no one helping him?

She looked at Carter again and found him staring right back at her. The moment she looked at his face, Amayra knew that Carter was aware of both her inner turmoil and the answers to her questions.

Amayra knew more than to break the silence. It wasn't her first time being in such a situation after all.

Surrounded by the crowd, laid on the ground was half dead body of Blake Samuels. His face was completely unrecognizable. His white school shirt torn to bits and pieces was entirely soaked in crimson blood. He was barely managing to stay conscious, his eyes drooping and his breath coming in short pants.

The school bell rang and everyone dispersed to their own classes without sparing a glance to Blake.

Amayra stood there speechless until the hallway was practically empty if not for Carter and her. What disappointed her was that she was unable to see the person behind this. She kept starring at Blake in hope that he would hang around a bit more so she could help him. She distantly heard Carter sigh.

When she glanced at Carter, he was looking at the boy who was beaten till death with an unreadable expression. As if sensing Amayra's eyes on her, he looked up and said gravely " come on..let's go. We're going to be late for our class."

Amayra nodded and started following him but not before she took out her water bottle from her bag. She opened the cap and casted a weary glance in the hallway to see if there was anyone else watching her. When she was passing Blake, she bent down kept her bottle near his head and started tying her already done shoelace. Blake knew what she was doing and tried to say no through his eyes shaking his head slightly. Amayra just looked at him quietly as if saying, "please..don't die". She stood up and followed Carter for her class. After a few steps she heard someone groan and cough profusely and instantly a small smile lit up her face.

 After a few steps she heard someone groan and cough profusely and instantly a small smile lit up her face