Chapter 28: Mage

Charlotte's P.O.V

I ran through the soft, spring grass to the lake that was just under a mile away from our summer cabin. We travel from Montreal to Toronto ever summer for a few weeks to our own little area. It's beautiful here, always like I could remember it.

I grabbed Tony's hand, as we ran through the fields of flowers in our swimsuits, dragging our towels with us in hand. When we finally approached the glassy surface of the water pool, I took notice to the beautiful flowers and how nice today was. I turned around to see my parents walked down the path we made, carrying a bag and an umbrella for lunch.

Tony whined at the shore, as I waded in. He needed to wait for mom and dad to give him his arm floaties as he wasn't old enough to know how to properly swim, and the lake wasn't big, but it was a little deep.

I waded deeper and deeper until my entire body was in the water, up to my elbows, before pushing off the sandy floor and diving into pure bliss. I arched up, feeling the water wash around me, then surfacing and feeling the full of air bursting through my lungs again, and I opened my eyes. Rippled rings distanced themself from me, until the water surface was calm again.

"Char!" I heard a high-pitched voice yell, Tony was struggling against mom as she tried to put the floaties on his arms securely. What an impatient child!

He ran, kicking up the sand in a ravenous storm behind him, then into the water he came splashing and making a fuss.

"Char!" he squeeled again.

"Tony, swim to me!" I yelled out, and laughed as I watched him doggy paddle towards me.

I could have sworn, I would have grown a beard by the time he reached me. I picked him up into my arms and held him.

"Did you see me swim?" he panted heavily, obviously exhuasted with the feat.

"I did, you swim so well." I smiled at his beeming, little face. He was just so precious.

We swam some more, enjoying the water's coolness, and the warms sun's rays. I love my home, my Canada. It was built for me.

Tony and I made a sandcastle, and collected small pieces of wood, small rocks, flowers, and leaves to decorate it. Mom took a picture with her phone as we crouched around our masterpiece.

Tony and I both complained when we had to go home.

"It's getting cold, let's go pumpkins!" Mom ushered us, wrapped up in blankets through the grassy fields to our wooden cabin through the small garden. We jumped in the hot shower, and peeled back our covers, and went to bed.

Tony was strangling his bear as he slept, but I couldn't. I walked to my parents room, I heard my dad talking on the phone downstairs. I strained to hear what he was saying, the television was on, and my mom was in the shower. He was angry, and his face was turning slightly red. His eyes were strained, and he kept eying his laptop. I heard the shower turn off, and my heart took off with it, continuing the beat at a high pace.

I didn't want to be caught, so I scampered off to my room as quickly, and quietly as I could, and jumped into bed pretending to sleep.

I heard the door slowly, a sliver of light poured into the room from the hall way, and I felt my parents presence. Then the light dissapeared, and their retreating voices escaped down the hall to their own room.

I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I felt my lungs burning. I relaxed, and allowed air to flood through my body, making me a little light-headed. I used that feeling to propel myself to sleep. 

*       *       *       *        *       *  

My heart was racing, and my face was moist with fresh tears hanging to my skin. That was just a dream, I found myself telling my concious.