Prologue

Sitting on one of the benches in the park, I watched all of the families walking by. I wondered what my life would be like if I hadn't been left in a cardboard box beside a dumpster nine years ago. Living on the streets was no walk in the park.

Friends come and go all the time. Some manage to scrape together enough money to move to a different city, other's pass away. It's always sad to see a friend go, hoping that they've gone to a better place. Until you remember that, out on the streets, nothing is permanent or stable. Nothing lasts forever. Nobody stays by your side and nobody wants to. On the streets, friends are a liability. They can leave you hungry or dead. There is no in between.

I stood up from the park bench and began walking around. Until I saw a woman. She was tall with porcelain skin and pale blue eyes. She had wavy, carroty orange hair that rested on her shoulders. She was wearing a dark green flannel, dark blue jeans and black knee-high boots. She also had a boy standing next to her.

He looked about my age. He had tan skin, shaggy black hair and the same pale blue eyes as the woman. He was wearing a black t-shirt that had 'I'm a ninja' written in white blocky writing and dark blue jeans with black canvas shoes. I couldn't help but stare at the both of them. They just seemed to stand out from everybody else.

The boy saw me staring and grabbed the woman's hand, pointing at me. The lady looked over at me and smiled. They started walking towards me and I didn't know what to do. Should I run? Should I stay and talk to them? I didn't have time to make a decision before the woman and the boy was in front of me. The woman knelt down with a bright smile on her face.

"Hi, I'm Anna, what's your name?" She asks.

"Cassiel," I say, looking down at the ground.

"Isn't that an angel name?" Anna asks.

"Yeah." I smile, looking back up at her.

"Did your parents give you that name?" Anna questioned.

"No," I answered. "I did."

"When?" Anna asked, confused by my statement.

"When I was a baby, the people in the shelter named me Cassiel," I explained. "Some of the women would call me their 'little angel' ."

"That's adorable." Anna smiled.

"They seem to think so too," I muttered.

"So do you still live in the shelter?" Anna asked.

"No."

"Why not?"

"There isn't enough room for me there and everywhere else is full," I explained, looking down at the ground so they wouldn't see the tears forming in my eyes. "So I just sleep in an old box in an alleyway."

"Hey don't cry," Anna said, pulling me into a hug.

I hadn't been hugged in a really long time. It felt...nice. I forgot how nice hugs felt. This wasn't a pity filled hug. It was an empathetic hug. She seemed to understand what I was going through. How hard a life like this can really be. Anna pulled back from the hug, her hands on my shoulders.

"How would you like to come home with Sage and me?" Anna asked. "Be a part of our family."

My eyes widened. I must have paused for too long because Anna immediately began to retrace her steps.

"You can say no if you want to." Anna started. "I understand if you don't want to. I would have my doubts too an-"

"Yes." I cut Anna off.

"Really?" Anna asked as her head snapped up to look me in the eyes. "You really want to?"

"Yeah," I smiled. "If that's okay with you?"

Anna looked at Sage and smiled. Then she turned to me and her smile widened. Anna stood up and held her hand out for me.

"Let's head home then."

I took her hand and she began to lead me towards her car. Sage ran to my free side and grabbed my hand and smiled.

I smiled to myself as imagined what life with a family would be like. And if it didn't work out, I'll always have the old box in the alley.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, so as you can see I've started this book and I would love for you guys to comment or message me and give me some feedback or correct me on any spelling or grammar mistakes. I will reply to any comments and messages I receive. If anything becomes too confusing just comment and message me and I will try to clear it up for you. Thanks for wasting your time on me!

~Daxton🌈