Ten

My eyes flew open as a sharp pain filled my chest. Bolting upright, I held a hand to my chest as the pain receded, fading into nothing. I could hear the movement and loud chatter coming from downstairs. Light filtered in through the window as I wiped the sweat from my forehead.

Taking deep breaths, I stood up from the bed and dragged myself to the door. I needed a glass of water to clear my head and figure out my next move. I couldn't just leave like I said I would. I needed to figure out how I was going to get to Michael.

Finnegan said that once other monsters found out that the prophecy was real and that it's actually happening, that there were those who would come after me. I wasn't entirely sure how they would find out, but I'm pretty sure I didn't want to know.

I stood at the top of the stairs and hesitated. What if they asked questions? I haven't talked to them since the fiasco with Fabian the other day. I wasn't quite ready to deal with them. I shook my head clear of thoughts and continued down the stairs.

I headed towards the kitchen where most of the noise was coming from. The smell of bacon lingered in the hallway as loud laughter spilled from the kitchen. I took a couple deep breaths before walking straight into the room.

Vicki, Jaxon and Finn were seated at the bar stools around the island in the kitchen, while Quinn was helping James cook breakfast. Anna was leaning against the counter as she trimmed the stems off of some wildflowers.

"Look who finally decided to wake up." Vicki taunted. "I was starting to think you'd died or something."

Every head in the room turned to look at me. Worry filled the eyes of most, but not Anna's. She wasn't worried. She seemed more relieved than worried.

"That's quite enough out of you, Victoria." Anna smiled. "Do you mind stepping outside with me for a minute, Cassiel?"

"Sure thing," I replied quietly, following her out of the screen door and onto the deck.

She led me to the stone bench under the old willow tree that stood just on the edge of the endless forest that surrounded our home. My heart felt heavy in my chest and I was worried about what Anna was going to say.

We sat in silence for a few moments, her eyes never resting on me. She looked like she was deep in thought. She seemed to have come to a resolution when she finally met my gaze.

"I just wanted to apologise for the way I reacted the other day." She sighed. "It was quite childish of me, wasn't it? He is just a boy."

I chuckled silently before replying.

"You did overreact just a bit, but there are no hard feelings. Fabian's a big boy, he can take it."

"I'm happy to know you aren't angry with me." She smiled brightly.

We sat in silence for a minute or two before Anna spoke up again.

"You're leaving aren't you." She whispered sadly.

"I've been waiting almost a week for this dream Anna, and I've finally had it." I tried to explain it to her gently. "If I have even the slightest chance of finding out where I really came from, then, of course, I'm going to chase after it. Wouldn't you?"

"Yeah, I would." She sighed.

We drifted into a comfortable silence before I heard Anna sniff. Tears were falling down her cheeks as she turned away from me, trying to hide them. I grabbed her shoulders and pulled her into a tight hug.

The tension left her body and she let the tears flow freely, letting harsh sobs escape from her throat. Finn appeared at getting steps of the deck but I waved him off. He nodded his head in understanding and ducked back inside.

"You'll always be my family, Anna." I cooed. "Forever and always. But this is something I have to do. I have to find Michael."

Anna took a few deep breaths before she pulled away. She wiped away the tears before she took my hands and held them in hers.

"Then don't let us stop you." She hiccuped. "He's your brother and apart of your real family. Now you find him and you make things right. You bring your true family back together and kick this prophecy in the ass."

"Yes, ma'am." I chuckled.

------------
-----------------

"Don't say goodbye to them," Anna whispered as she helped me pack my things. "It will only make you want to stay."

"But I can't just leave without saying goodbye!" I whisper yelled.

"You have to, Cas!" Anna retorted. "They'll never let you leave otherwise."

"What about Sage? I didn't even see him downstairs at breakfast this morning."

"He's at the hideout," Anna whispered softly. "He's been staying there ever since you barricaded yourself in here."

"I'm sorry for doing that." I sighed. "I just needed some time alone."

"I get it. But you still have to leave without saying goodbye. If the others don't chase after you then Sage definitely will."

We continued to place clothes in my duffle bag in silence before Anna left the room. She returned a few minutes later with a think yellow envelope. She didn't say anything as she handed it to me and continued packing.

"What is this?" I asked, quirking an eyebrow at her.

"It's one of the pack's credit cards, about two grand in cash and your passport." She replied, deadpan. "So you can pay for hotels and food."

"Anna, I can't take this," I argued. "I understand why you gave me my passport, but this is a lot of money."

"You can take it, Cassiel." She sighed, frustrated. "Because I'm giving it to you. You need money to find your brother and that's all the money you'll need and more. I'm not sending one of my babies off to run around the country without a way to feed and clothe themselves. Do you understand?"

I dropped my head and stared at my feet. Anna was willing to give me everything and more despite the fact there was a very likely chance we would never see each other again. And I couldn't be more grateful.

I suddenly didn't want to leave. I wanted to stay and pretend that none of this was happening. I just wanted to live a normal life, even though that normal life contains nine werewolves.

"I don't know if I can do this." I breathed shakily, tears threatening to spill over.

Anna walked towards me and held my face in her warm hands.

"Yes, you can." She whispered. "Because you're a Hart. You're my son. Not by blood, but by choice. And I love you so very much."

"I love you too."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, gals and fridges!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

So, Cassiel and Anna had a heart to heart and now Cassiel is on his way into the big wide world! The next chapter will be in Sage's POV so I hope you guys will like it!

As always, thank you guys so much for 303 reads and 58 votes! It means a hell of a lot that people are still reading this story even though I'd been gone for so long!

If you are enjoying this story, don't forget to either comment or leave a vote or both if that's what you wanna do!

Thanks for wasting your time on me!

~Daxton🌈