I'm Your Friend

How could he be so stupid. So very very stupid. His parents were right after all. He was just a failure. He ruined everything. Everything he ever worked for was doomed. And all because of that stupid red head sitting next to him.

"Daniel?" David said, laying a hand on the blond's shoulder.

Daniel snapped back to reality, scooting away from David so his hand fell off his shoulder. A flash of hurt crossed David's face, quickly fading away into a look of concern.

     Daniel had returned to Camp Campbell a few weeks ago. Despite the protests from Max and his friends, David had hired Daniel back in out of pity. He had seemed genuinely sorry after all. And things had gone great, the two having really gotten along.
But now, for this past week, Daniel had grown more reclusive. More secretive.

David scooted closer to Daniel on the bench.
"Daniel, is everything ok?", he asked him, fiddling with the ends of his bandanna.

Daniel opened his mouth to respond as he always had whenever David asked him that damn question.
Yes, perfectly fine Davey.
But this time was different.
"N-No," he whimpered.

Tears began to well up in his eyes and he rubbed against them with his arm, turning his head to the side so David wouldn't see. However, it had already been too late.

"Daniel! Hey hey hey, what's wrong?", the red head asked, reaching out a hesitant hand. He wanted to put an arm around Daniel but didn't want to make things worse.

"It-it's just...", Daniel said. He took several shaky breaths before turning to David, tears now rolling down his face, "Do you know why I came back here?"

"Because you wanted to make amends," David replied cheerfully, hoping his happiness might rub off on Daniel.

"Nope. I came back here to...to...Agh, I came back here to murder you!"

David's smile slipped off and his eyes widened.
"Mu-Murder?"

Daniel wrapped his arms around himself, the look on David's face piercing his heart like an arrow.
"Yes. Murder. Or sacrifice. I-I couldn't return home without making one more and...you were the one person I knew would be easiest to sacrifice."

"The sacrifice was supposed to be today" Daniel continued, " But...I can't. Throughout my entire time here I slowly and slowly became more attached to you. It's just...you became my friend. Something I never had before. And...I'll understand if you dont want to be friends anymore. I'll understand if you want me to leave. At least, I had a friend for a few weeks."

Daniel turned away again, holding back more sobs. This was it. He lost everything now. He couldn't go back home and David was sure to never look at him the same again. He was about to get up and leave when David pulled him into a hug, shaking.

" I am your friend Daniel. Forever. Got it?" David said, eyes shining with unshed tears. It didn't matter what has happened before. Daniel had changed. And now, David could see that

Daniel was silent for a moment before a shaky smile came across his lips. He hugged David back, sobbing onto his shoulder.
"Got it," he mumbled.

{Since the last thing with Daniel in it was kinda sad, I made a kinda happy thing with him in it.}