Paths

{This story was written for my Creative Writing Class and is told in Max's P.O.V. Unfortunately, no cussing was allowed so forgive me if that makes them slightly off character TwT }

Crunch, crunch,crunch

The sound of crunching snow underfoot soon became the only sound in the nearly silent forest. It was almost like stepping on small clumps of ice repeatedly, feeling it be crushed beneath your feet into mush or into those ice slushies. I had been walking along the path for an hour now, starting to regret setting out so late. The sun had already begun to go down and worry filled my mind, distracting me from the scenery around me.

Soon, paranoia made me quicken my pace. I didn't even know where this trail led. Ered had told me it was a great walk to relieve some stress but all it did was give me more. I let out a startled yelp as I crashed into something, knocking me off balance and sending me to the ground. I scrambled off my back into a sitting position, looking up at the male I had walked into.

"Ah, jesus, sorry!" the male cried, offering a gloved hand down to help me up.

I ignored it, throwing him a glare as I helped myself off the ground. I brushed snow off my pants though I could still feel spots of cold from where it had melted.

The stranger held his hands out in front of him, giving me the impression of a nervous tall blue eyed raptor. He avoided eye contact as he began to apologize profusely. I rolled my eyes, letting out an aggravated sigh.

"Listen, it's fine dude. I'm the one who ran into you anyway," I told him, stuffing my hands in the pockets of my hoodie.

He didn't seem very convinced but he at least stopped apologizing. He suddenly held his hand out again, startling me.

"I-I'm Neil," he said, offering me a small smile.

I hesitantly shook his hand, not giving him my name. It's not like he would need it if we were never going to see each other again after this.

"So, why were you just standing here in the middle of the path like a statue?" I asked, withdrawing my hand and stuffing it back in my pocket.

Unlike Neil, who had gloves, I had nothing but my hoodie pockets to keep them warm.

"Oh, I was waiting for my friend, Nikki," he replied with an authentic, less nervous smile this time, shifting the straps of the backpack he was wearing.

I raised an eyebrow, looking around the path we stood on. It was empty save for the two of them. Ok, time to run. Just my luck to run into a psycho while on a walk in the forest. I was just about to bid him farwell and make a mad dash for it when a blur of blue and red fell in front of me, making me stumble back and scream.

A short girl with aquamarine pigtails laughed, snow and leaves gathered in her hair.

"Sorry about that! I jumped down from the tree!" she chirped, pointing at the pine tree next to them.

"Nikki, please tell me you're not going to do that to every person we come across on the path," Neil sighed, shaking his head as Nikki replied with an innocent shrug, making snow slide off her red winter coat.

I wondered if I'd be able to run or if the girl would tackle me before I could. She looked wild enough to do so. I looked back at the way back home behind me, immediately shoving that idea aside as I saw how eerie the path now looked. I turned back to face the other two and yelped as I came face to face with Nikki, making me take a step back in alarm. She giggled before running back over to her companion, who had a hand over his mouth in an attempt to hide his laugh.