Part Seventy-Six

Part Seventy-Six

The cold overtakes my body and I unwrap my body from Harry's arms, his resistant of me leaving. He's in a deep sleep, unlike my restless body. My feet hit the floor, the cold tile hitting the bare skin. Harry groans but grabs my pillow, bringing it to his chest. I walk to my dresser and pull out jeans and a hoodie, placing them on my body and walking out of the room.

Lacing my boots, I grab my phone and walk out of the apartment, walking to the park where I was previously with Harry. My feet walk along the paths, the moon shining down. It's a clear night and the stars are shining brightly. Something about tonight will change me forever, hearing that the boy I love will never want to marry me, have a future that I've pictured. He won't want kids, I know it, no little girls with my brown hair and his green eyes or boys with his hair and my blue eyes. It's ruined and I can't take it.

I lay down in the field and close my eyes, wanting to just forget the world and leave. This is the most painful thing that has happened to me, not the wolf, the stitches, the broken ribs; the pain of not having a future hurts the most.

My phone rings and it keeps ringing, cold tears streaming down my face when I listen to the voicemail.

Beth, I'm sorry. Just tell me where you are and I will come for you. I need to know you're safe. Please baby, you're everything to me.

My simple text reads 'park' and I toss the phone back in my pocket, wiping my tears with my fingers. An airplane moves through the sky and I wish it was a shooting star, another lost hope flowing through my body. The sting of the wind feels cool against my fingers and cheeks, but it feels good. It is fresh air and it makes me feel relaxed.

A presence is felt next to me and I keep my eyes closed as the person lies next to me. The warmth radiating off the body gives me the first sign, but then a hand grabs mine and I know it's him. My fingers curl around his cast, holding his hand and gravitating towards his body.

The silence is comfortable; all I needed was warmth as I think. I may be over-thinking this, but it's my whole childhood, dreaming about my future with my husband and children, ruined. It's out of thought and now the pain just has to sink in.

"Will you come back home with me?" he whispers, my eyes still closed in fear of falling. My lips remain pressed together and my breathing is slow, visible in the air.

"Not right now," I speak firmly, taking another deep breath and letting out a small choke from the earlier tears. Harry stops talking and just keeps his hand around mine, rubbing his thumb along my finger.

We lay in silence for almost a half hour before I open my eyes again, a couple tears falling from my eyes. My head turns to look at him, his eyes closed and skin glowing against the moon. He's an angel.

"I'll never get a white wedding, never have little kids. I'm never going to have the future I've dreamed about since I was a little girl because you won't help me with it."

My eyes close again, fearing I'll cry again. I let go of Harry's hand and I sit up, wrapping my arms around my legs. His body comes up after and rests his arm around me, pulling me into his chest and warming me up. I rest my head against his shoulder and he lays his left hand on my cheek, wiping some of the tears that have fallen without me knowing.

"I can't tell you how sorry I am but marriage never lasts. This, what we have now, will work for us."

My head shakes and I grab onto his shirt, my fingers tightening around the material. "You asked me and you took it back. Was that just a way to get me to stay? Keep me with you so you weren't hurt?"