Chapter 22.

[unedited because I'm lazyy!]

It was a smooth, deathly silence that clung to the air like static. I stood in front of a stone path, reading a moss covered sign, with vines and other plants swooping over the archway. Around the area were rich, green pine trees, and some tall oaks. The town it lied in was so isolated, that I swear I was the only human around for miles.

I swallow and look through the opening, scoping out the area to see if I was alone. I was, surprisingly. On a Sunday morning you would figure a lot of people would come here after church or something. But I was alone, wandering through the very place my parents are lied to rest.

The Emerald Pines Cemetery.

I begin my walk through, looking at all of the last names as I passed by. Jones, Carey, Steward, Williams, Hendricks, Ricany, Woods.... but no Chambers. I continue on and nervously flick my gaze to other headstones, dreading until I come across my parents.

I really didn't want to see it, but I know I should.

Jumping from thought to thought, sorting seven hundred different things that were shooting around my skull, and mentally screaming at myself didn't even phase me once my eyes clicked to a certain spot. Everything was silenced and suddenly stripped my from mind once I saw them.

Ryan Chambers and Jade Chambers were etched into big, mirror-like headstones, right in the back of a mound of overturned earth. They had been freshly planted into the ground not too long ago, I could tell.

White lilies were placed at the base of the headstones, the petals fluttering in the light breeze that slipped by. All of my emotions were so strong and surging that I was just.... frozen. I couldn't move.

 I inch closer to the graves, feeling the back of my eyelids stinging as I read the words in stone. I stood over the lifeless shells that once held the souls of my parents inside. Then my knees buckle, and I slump to the ground, my eyes never leaving the names.

"Mom... Dad...."

And then I broke.

"I'm s-so sorry..." I sob, cupping my face in my hands. My tears overflowed and streamed through the cracks of my fingers, and down my arms as I mourned over the graves.

I'm barely seventeen, and I'm on my own -- I have no one. My parents are dead, my friends betrayed me, and I'm in love with a psychotic serial killer who has put my life on the line numerous times. If you dare tell me that this isn't so bad, you're asking for a knife in the throat. Because this is horrible, and I don't know what to do. I'm so lost....

"What do I do?" I cry to my mom and dad. "Help me, please... Please!"

I'm losing my mind... They can't help me...

"They're dead, Kate!" I yell at myself. "You have no one."

 And it's all your fault....

 With all the pain, guilt, and sadness swarming over it me, it was too hard to deal with. I slump over on my side and curl into a ball, with my hands wrapped around my knees, and my eyes spilling regret. My tears seep into the soil, where it outstretches down to my parents. I hope that somehow, they knew how sorry I was; how ungrateful I feel for avoiding their visits, and wanting to leave home so early. I was so thankful to have them as my parents, and I didn't even know it until.

"Everything happens for a reason...."

Okay. But what was the reason for this? Something so horrible? I didn't know.... I was way too fatigued over depression, stress, and anger. I just needed to rest.