Chapter 16.

All of my fuzzy senses were livening as I felt someone stroking my hair with their warm fingertips. My head was lying on their lap as I was starting awaken. I open my eyes and breathe in deeply.

"I think she's waking up," a female voice says softly.

"Great." a male replies.

I slowly lift up to see where in the hell I was, but I did not recognize a thing. The house I was in was cozy and warm; the smell of wood smoke filling the air. From the fireplace glowed a golden light that shined throughout the old-fashioned house, giving me a sense of comfort, even though I had no idea where I was.

I look up to find myself lying on a woman, who was plump, with short, bleach-blonde hair. Her dull gray eyes pierce through mine unintentionally, and a wide, toothy smile cracks onto her face.

"Hello, honey." she says. Who the fuck are you?

I furrow my brows and continue to stare at her, to hopefully manage to remember her face.

"Hello."

"My name is Judith. But you can call me Judy. This is my husband, Frank." she introduces as an old man crouches uncomfortably close to the couch we were sitting on. He had a line of reddish-gray hair going around the bottom half of his head, completely bald on top. He had dark, creepy brown eyes that bored deep into me, and I felt very afraid.

"Hi, Frank..." I say awkwardly.

"What's your name, dear?" 'Judy' asks with a smile.

"Kate..."

"Beautiful name! Oh, Kate, you look so sleepy. Would you like us to get you some PJ's and a comfy bed? Maybe even a warm snack?" she asks with a sickeningly sweet smile.

I watch them both look to me expectantly, smiling away with an eerie niceness. I was going to say no and get up to leave, but I look down to find myself in no condition to be on my own, wandering around outside. A little bit of blood was seeping through my hospital gown, and I was a muddy mess. On top of all of that, I had no idea where the fuck I was.

My stomach rumbles and gives me the final answer of: "Sure, that'd be great. If you don't mind..."

"Not at all!" Judy cheers and prances to the kitchen, leaving me alone with this Frank guy. He still sat crouched in front of me, his arm resting on his knee. From my position he looked like a cheesy model for a dog food commercial, for some reason. All he needed was the dog sitting down beside him.

"So, Kate, where ya from?" his loud voice punched me out of my strange and unrelated thoughts.

"Somewhere between the town of Salem and Martinsville."

"Small town girl. Why are you wearing a hospital gown, Kate?" he scrunches his face but still holds the same smile. I swallow.

"Uh, I don't really wanna talk about it."

He looked confused, and his eyebrows twitched in curiosity, but he still held that same, creepy smile.

I was messing with the hemming of the gown I wore, feeling the question tugging at my throat. I felt his eyes on me; heavy pressure weighing down. I really didn't want to talk. These people were freaks, I could sense it strongly.

"Why am I here?" I ask.

His face falls and was shadowed by confusion, mirroring off of me.

"Do you not remember, Kate?"

I gulp and shake my head, being able to feel the fatigue forming thick bags underneath my eyes. Frank grimaces slightly, but doesn't let his famous smile fall. He pats me on the knee and gives it a firm squeeze.