Ch. 8 ~ Regret

"What's the point, David." Daniel frowned and threw Nikki down. "Its not like they're going to care about you."
          "That's not tr-"
          "Yes, it is. Once they leave Camp Campbell they will forget you ever existed." He kicked Nikki over to David. "They aren't going to care about you David."
          Max and Niel were frozen in fear. After the first experience with Daniel, they didn't want to mess with him. David flinched at Nikki being kicked. He leaned down and picked her up.
          "Leave them alone. " David glared at Daniel. "Leave this place and never come back. If you want to mess with someone, mess with me. These kids don't deserve it." David's voice was cold and serious. Daniel shifted his eyes away from David for a moment then shifted back. "Go." David's words echoed in Daniel's mind for a moment. He pulled out his knife and sighed. He looked at the knife with a dead, empty stare.
          "You know.. David." He looked up at David. "I didn't want to do this."
          "Sure you didn't." David's tone continued to get even more cold. It hurt Daniel. He didn't know why and he pondered for a moment.
          Daniel's breaths got heavier. He was hurt. He went to far and now David wouldn't forgive him. He felt a small tear roll halfway down his face. David noticed the tear. He turned around.
          "Go home. Leave this camp at peace. ...And find someone else's life to ruin." David looked down at Max and Niel. "Come on boys.. let's go to camp." Max and Niel nodded and looked at Nikki. She was unconscious.
          Daniel dropped his knife. He watched as David and the kids disappear down the stairs. More tears rolled down his face. He heard the front door shut and everything went silent.
          He lost control of his breathing. Tears rolled rapidly down and hit the floor. He was crying. He never thought he had such an emotion inside of him still. His breaths had gaps and he couldn't breathe correctly. His face turned red and he dropped to his knees. He felt... horrible.

~~~~

          David and the kids arrived back at camp. Max and Niel went back to their tent to sleep. David carried  Nikki to her tent and laid her down in her bed. He went back to his cabin.
          He layed down on his bed. All he could think about was the things he said. He hated Daniel. Yet... He missed him. He liked when he was with Daniel. Just, not when he was doing something bad. He wanted to go back.. He wanted to apologize.
          "Maybe he needed it." David looked out of his window. "But.. He seemed so shocked.. it's like everything that made him who he was... disappeared." He rolled over and closed his eyes. "Just forget about it..."

          A few minutes passed. More thinking. More feeling. He couldn't stand it. David sat up and walked to the door. He walked outside and back to the boats. He got in the boat and made his way to the island. Once he was there he exited the boat.
          He approached the front door.
          "Davey.." a familiar voice called.
          David flinched.
          "Davey..!" It got a little louder.
          David turned around. There he was, a child. He looked around Max's age. He was wearing clothing similar to someone he knew. The more David looked at him.. the more he seemed to look like.. "Jasper.."
          "Yep! It sure has been a while hasn't it ?!" He chuckled a little. "What have you been up to..?"
          David stared silently. He shifted his stare to the door for a moment then back at Jasper.
          "Camp stuff... mourning you.." he sighed. He closed his eyes and whiped a tear from his eye.
          "Davey, why are you mourning me.." his voice started to sound distorted. "I'm a-li-ve.. after all....." his voice cut out. There was only silence.
          David opened his eyes and Jasper was gone. David stood up and walked inside.

~~~~

          Daniel heard the door open and he flinched. Someone had entered...