Ch. 18 ~ I'll protect you..

Daniel walked back to camp and nobody was there. Great.
          Daniel got in his car and drove to David's house. At this point, it was about midnight. David's car was parked outside so Daniel knew he had to be there.
          David heard him drive up so he opened his door. Daniel locked his car and put the keys in his pocket.
          David smiled. Daniel approached David and pushed David's (floof) hair back. He kissed him. David flinched slightly from the pain in his face.
          David pulled back. He looked into the house.
          "Max is asleep.."
          "His parents didn't come?!" Daniel gasped. David sighed.
          "Well.. they did.. it's, uh.." David turned on the light and revealed his bruises and red marks. His clothes were slightly ripped because Max's mom pulled a knife and swung a couple times near the end.
          "WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOU?!" Daniel looked closer. He touched David's cheek. David flinched again and let out a soft "-agh"
          David shushed Daniel. He pointed down the hall, signaling that Max was sleeping still so they needed to be quiet.
          "Tell me what they did..." Daniel begged David. They went silent for a moment. David explained. What they did to Max and himself. He mentioned what he did as well.
          ",And then I took Max home.."
          "David..."
          "Yeah? Daniel.."
          "I'll protect you..." Daniel hugged David. "You won't ever be hurt again because I'll be there to protect you!"
          David nodded silently. Daniel turned around and closed the door. They walked to David's room.
           Daniel sat down on David's large bed. He looked at a cute brown side table. On it was a box of tissues and a bottle of pills.
          The pills said they were for sleeping. "Does David have trouble sleeping?!"
           Daniel turned back to David. When their eyes met they both blushed a little. David was taking his shirt off.
          "Wh- What?!" He finishes. "It's not like there's something you haven't seen before.."
          "I know.." Daniel layed down. David changed into comfier pants and got in bed next to Daniel. "Can I wear some of your clothes?" David nodded to Daniel.
          Daniel stood up and changed into some of David's pajamas. Every pair had a tree on it. One was kittens. Which Daniel found adorable. David really was a dork.
          He got back in bed with David. David fell asleep but Daniel was laying there. Wide awake.
          He looked at David. The scar.
          David opened his eyes slowly.
          "Daniel? Are you still awake?!"
          "Yeah..." Daniel was hurting. He couldn't stop having unstoppable amxiety and regret. He couldn't imagine David ever seeing him as something other than a psychopath jerk.
          David started humming a song.
          Daniel seemed to be relaxed by David's voice. He pulled David close. All he wanted was to be happy for once. David petted Daniel's hair. He continued to hum until he sang the lyrics quietly.
          David understood Daniel was having a hard time getting things off of his mind.
          Daniel didn't recognize the song but he loved David's voice. He noticed himself drifting away to sleep. David's comfort had saved him.

~~~~

          David woke up cuddling Daniel. He tried to get up without waking him. After doing so David went to check on Max. He opened the door to Max's room.
          Max was awake and staring. David walked in and sat at the end of his bed.
          "How are you feeling?"
          "I'm fine." Max sighed.
          "Good, good.."
          "I'm glad I'm here." Max smiled. He looked over and saw a huge smile on David's face. "ONLY BECAUSE I HATE THAT HOSPITAL!"
          "I'm glad you're here too Max.." David moved closer to Max and hugged him. "You can stay for as long as you want..." Max hugged back.

          "Thanks... dad."