Ch. 22 ~ tease the fag

Daniel walked into the room he had shared with David. He looked down on David's side of the bed and found the almost empty bottle of pills. There were a few scattered on the floor.
          He felt the stinging feeling of tears forming again. He ran out and into the living room. The phone began to ring again.
          "It's only been a few minutes!" He answered the phone.
          "Sir-" the nurse began.
          "CALL IN-- I DON'T KNOW! TWO DAYS?!" Daniel yelled into the phone and hung up.

           In his room, Max looked out of his window. Night time came and darkness covered the land. He layed down in his bed and cried a bit more.
          "Max..?" Daniel said softly as he knocked on the door. "Are you okay?"
          "No." Max replied and coverer his face with his blankets.
          "I'll give you time.. I know.... it hurts." Daniel left and went back to his room. He kicked the pills under the bed and layed down on it.
          He thought about what to do. Everything was hurting now. Worse than before. Before, he had David to help him.  Now he had to raise their son.. alone.

          Max woke up the next morning slowly. He couldn't bring himself to leave. Daniel walked into his room quietly.
          "Max.. you don't have to go to school toda-"
          "I'm fine." Max snapped before Daniel could finish.
          "Okay.." Daniel left and finished getting ready for work.
          Max got dressed and picked up his backpack. Before leaving his room he grabbed the handle to a drawer by his bed. He pulled it open. Inside was a piece of paper and a knife.
          The paper said:

Max, don't do it. You promised you wouldn't ever do it again. The only reason why this drawer is open is because you are sad.
Don't break your promise.

~past Max

          Max ignored the paper. He picked the knife up. He rolled back the sleeve on his left arm. He looked at his skin. Light marks remained on his arm from his past. Now.

They were renewed.

          Max flinched. He put the knife down and covered his arm with his hoodie again. He walked out of his room and walked to the front door.
          "Do you want me to drive you to school?" Daniel said and hugged Max.
          "No.. I'm fine." He hugged back then walked out. He headed down the street. His school was nearby. He walked a few blocks then the bus took him the rest of the way.
          Halfway to the bus stop a group of three boys aproached Max.
          "How's your gay dad's?" A taller one smirked. The others giggled a bit.
          "Fuck off." Max sped up ahead of them. They ran back up.
          "Aww.. is he offended?" The boy said. The others giggled more. "What's it like having fags for dads?" They broke into laughter.
          "I SAID FUCK OFF!" Max started to feel sad again. He covered it with anger.
          "I think all fags should die!" A boy from the back joined in.
          "I'd shoot em' all!" Another joined in.
          Tears filled Max's eyes.
          "WELL ONE'S ALREADY DEAD! YOU HAPPY?" He yelled as tears rolled down his face.
          "Oh." The first one said quietly.

        Max stopped walking and turned around. 'Had they realised what they said was... wrong?'
          Two seconds passed and they bursed into laughter.
          "LOOKS LIKE THE HOMOSEXUALS WERE BROUGHT TO JUSTICE!" They kept going on. One of them pushed against Max's arm. Then the others joined in. They pushed him until he fell.
          They began kicking him. They kicked him down on all sides. One boy lauged again.
          "He's got fags for dads!" One boy called out. The others started to chant.
          "FAGS FOR DADS, FAGS FOR DADS!" They chanted until Max lost all will to get up and run.
          His old injury felt like a million knives stabbing him in the same area.
          The boys saw the bus and ran after it. They ran in the bus. The bus driver nodded and left, not noticing Max at all.
          Daniel usually leaves later than Max and drives around to see if he got on the bus yet. He turned a corner in his car and saw max laying on the ground.
          Daniel stopped his car and jumped out. He ran to max and squatted down.
          "MAX!" He helped max up and carried him to his car. "Max, what happened?!" Max groaned and looked away. Daniel started driving. He took out his phone and called the school.
          "Sorry sir, I won't be able to go to work today." Daniel sighed. The person on the other end said he understands and they ended the call.
          "Max, please, what happened?"
          "Bullies... no big deal." Max wouldn't look at Daniel.
          "What did they say?" Daniel got serious.
          "They said I have homosexual fags for dads..... They said they would kill them all..." Max started to cry again. "I told them David's already dead...." Max began to choke on his words. "They.. they laughed. They chanted mean things and pushed me down. They kicked me until I bled.. My old injury feels like shit."
          Daniel gasped then looked away. He drove to their house and parked the car. Max and Daniel walked in.
          "Here, let me bandage you up.." Daniel took Max to the bathroom and put medicine on the places he was bleeding. Then he bandaged it.
          "Thanks.." Max walked to his room and shut the door. Daniel heard the phone ring again. He ignored it this time.

But..
    Something felt off