Chapter 17

Katniss was released from the hospital rather quickly, the next morning to be exact.
The doctors were very firm on instructions, no sharp sudden movements and no strenuous exercise, which basically translated to no hunting.

I was worried though, I could stop her doing anything to hard on her body when she's awake, but I'm not sure about being able to stop her hurting herself in her sleep, during a nightmare.

Katniss is exhausted, the last day or so in hospital have clearly taken it out of her, she started of leaning on my shoulder, already falling asleep. I gently scooped her up, she seemed to wake up a little bit.
"You scared me to death" I told her "I was really worried"
"I'm sorry" she whispered.
"It's not your fault" I said placing her on the bed
"Will you stay with me?" She asks desperately clutching my hand, I settle down beside her on top of the covers, it's only 8pm, so as soon as she was asleep I was going to go downstairs and make myself something to eat

But I reply with "Always"
"I love you" I whispered
"I love you too. Forever and alw-" she said falling asleep. I lifted myself from the bed and slowly padded downstairs. The phone started ringing. I quickly grabbed the phone

"Hello" I answered
"Oh, hey Peeta" Johanna replied "I was just calling to let you and Katniss know that Liz and I have gotten back together"
"That's awesome Jo"
"Well that's all, and I kinda. . . Um I sorta have to go now. Byeeeee" she said in a rush "We'll call round tomorrow"
The phone went dead
I cooked myself some food, and ate it sitting down, watching a tv show. I'd watched 3 episode when she started to scream.

I raced up the stairs to find Katniss tangled up in the bed sheets, thrashing and screaming, but still not fully awake.
I shook her awake.
She woke up, starting to cry.
"Oh Katniss" I mumbled, gently pulling her into a sitting position. She rested her head on my neck, placing her hand on my chest.
She wasn't crying much but her heart was racing.
"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked wrapping my arms around her
"Not yet" she replied, snuggling into me.
"Okay" I say, placing my lips to her hair
She said she didn't want to talk about it but she spoke up, slowly and quietly

"We were in the woods. Me, you, Johanna, Liz, Annie, and her friend Eva, Mollie and Charlie, and Haymitch and Effie." She takes a deep breath and continued. "And then - then Prim was there too. We were all joking and laughing and then, she was-she was dead, and he'd killed her. Gale - Gale had killed her" she chocked out starting to cry.

I hugged her tighter, saying nothing, she cried herself out. We fell asleep in each other's arms.
But bliss can only last for so long.