Chapter 19

Haymitch sits down on the couch. He's hungover. Or drunk. Or both.

"Good morning sweetheart" he slurs to Katniss.

"Morning" she replies

I sit down next to Katniss.

"Should we tell him. . . About our engagement" I whisper in her ear.

"Well it's only fair we tell him first" she whispered back

"Hey what's the secret?" Haymitch asked

"Well, Katniss and I have something to tell you, but don't tell anyone yet" I told him

"What is it?" He asks

"We're engaged" Katniss and I said in unison.

"Awwww well look who got their happy ending after all" he answered.

I guess he's right though, after everything we still ended up together. I squeeze Katniss' hand instinctively, she squeezes mine back.

"So why haven't we seen you in ages" Katniss asks attempting to start conversation.

"What do ya think?" He says holding up an almost empty bottle.

Conversation slowly turns awkward so Haymitch makes up his excuses and leaves.

"I thought he'd never leave" Katniss says.

"Do you think we should tell everyone else?" I asked

"Yeah, but it's probably best to avoid Johanna and Liz for a while" she replied.

"I guess Johanna found the perfect match"

"She did."

We told Annie, (and Eva and Finnick Jr. as they were in the room when we told her)

We told Effie and Katniss' prep team, as well as Enobaria. And as an after thought we told Katniss' mom.

"That took a long time" Katniss muttered, probably thinking of the speech Effie gave us.

It went a little something like this:

Oh, of course you're engaged you're perfect together, Katniss you'll be the most beautiful bride and Peeta I'm sure you'll look so dashing, I have to call Venia, Octovia and Flavius. I can't wait, this will be a big, big day. Oh my god I have so much to arrange. Have you thought of a date? Have you thought of dresses? Will Haymitch be there? He better not come drunk. Who's the bridesmaids? Can I be the wedding planner? This'll be amazing when I'm finished with it, I was thinking there could be banners and streamers and a television crew, and Annie and Finnick Jr. could be there. Oh and Johanna and that new girlfriend of hers *note she said 'girlfriend' with particular disgust* Will Plutarch be there? He has to be there. There's so much to do and so little time. I can't say that you haven't got a date yet. But there's music and cake, but I'm sure Peeta will take care of that, and dresses and setting and the guest list and flower arrangements. Oh my god, do you want roses or tulips or carnations or the really pretty ones that are white and purple, what are they called? Meh I don't know. I'll find out. I gotta go find some nice flowers. See ya. Bye.

It was a very long speech, a very long boring speech.

"Should we let Effie plan our wedding" I asked

"Oh why not? We might as well have something extravagant for a change" Katniss answered