Ssundee- Chapter 2: Her Dying Scream

~FlashBack~

The house was silent. I tip-toed to Diamond's room, quietly opening the door. I sighed with relief as I saw her curled up in bed, breathing silently, one hand draped over the side, lost in her dreams. I closed the door. I'd had a nightmare that she'd been attacked by someone, but it had just been a dream. I heard a noise from downstairs. I frowned and padded down the sweeping staircase, the thick, Persian carpet muting the noise of my footsteps. I came across a gold plated necklace, then a pile of ruby encrusted bracelets. I realised then that someone had broken into Diamond's house and was stealing her family heirlooms. There was a huge safe on ground level where she kept everything precious to her. Only I knew about it though...I kept walking, till I came to the safe. Gold and various other jewels littered the ground around me. I moved forward; tripping over an enormous ruby by accident. I fell to the ground, my heart thumping as the ruby clattered on the tiled floor and echoed around the corridors. I froze. Then a figure clothed in black emerged from inside the safe. I was on the ground, not even daring to breath. He turned to face me and I screamed silently inside of me.

His face was wreathed in shadows, but his white eyes glowed beneath them. My sunglasses reflected them back at him. He smiled. But it wasn't a genuine one. It was filled with venom, and it lit up his eyes with an evil glow. Then I blinked and he was making his way up the stairs. I was halfway to the exit before I remembered Diamond. I turned and ran up the stairs. "Diamond!" I shouted. I reached the top just as the intruders' cloak whipped around the doorway. "NO!" I ran to the door, wrenching it open, just in time to see the thief draw back his sword and blood sprayed everywhere. Diamond's dying scream was silent in her sleep, but it wrung in my ears as my eyes brimmed with tears. The stranger just laughed. But his humour didn't reach his cold eyes. I advanced towards him. "You will pay for this! You will rue the very day you crossed Ssundee!" He wrapped his cloak around him and disappeared. I broke down beside my dead partner, her hand still draped over the silk sheets. I took it, but it was now cold, with death. I dared to look at her face. Her eyes were still closed, but her lips were open in an endless scream. I vowed then that her murderer would pay for what he had done, with his own death. I turned to the vase of flowers beside her bed and picked a blood red rose. I muttered an enchantment that would prolong the rose's life till Diamond was avenged. Then I leapt out of the window and fled the cursed house, never to return till the rose was dead...