Ssundee- Chapter 9: Just After Midnight...

I lay in my bed, grateful for Seto's company. Everyone in SkyArmy shared a room with someone else, except for Captain. But then he was rarely at SkyBase anyway. I shared with Seto, Ty with Sky, Mitch with Jerome, Husky with Kermit, and Jason USED to share with a guy called CavemanFilms. At least, that's what I've been told. Seto and I had been talking about Mitch for a while: how he was getting on, etc. Then, suddenly, the conversation shifted to our pasts. Before SkyArmy. Seto said he had discovered his magic at 7 yrs old, when he accidentally set fire to his dads' beard. I cracked up as Seto imitated his dad running round in circles screaming for the fire brigade. Then, the inevitable question was asked. "Where are you from Ssundee?" I sighed. "Um, I...uh." "What's up?" "Nothing...I just." I shook my head. "I'm from a village near the Fallen Kingdom." Seto stared at me. "Really?" "Yes." "But those villages are overrun with bandits and thieves, and all sorts of weird things. Are you sure?" "I think I know where I was born Seto." He half-smiled. "So, what category do you come under?" He asked jokingly. "The weird things." "Lol, seriously Ssundee. Tell the truth." "I AM from one of those villages though!" "Ok, what's the name of it? I might recognise it from my travels." "Alright, if you insist. It's called Signia." Seto stared at me. "Are you joking?" "Do I look like I'm joking?" "I don't know, I can't see your eyes behind your sunglasses."

I shrank against the wall, half-hidden in the shadows of my covers so Seto couldn't see my face. "Well. I'm not taking them off if that's what you're implying." "No. I wasn't implying that at all." I nodded. "Ok." "So Signia, that's like where all the weirdos hang out, right?" I could tell he was joking. "Ha, I guess so." "So, anyway, moving on. Girlfriends. I had a girlfriend once. Her name was Amy." "Really?" "Yes. And I really thought we were gonna be...you know." "Uh...ok?" He snorted. "Do you have any experience with girls at all Ssundee?" I scowled, hurt. "Yes! More than you do I bet!" "Ok, fine. Prove it!" I took the challenge. "Well, how did she break up with you?" Seto didn't meet my eyes. "Oh, no it wasn't that. She was with another guy, even though she-" "Oh." "Yeah." I sighed. I knew I could trust Seto. "Ok. Her name was Diamond. She was the only girl for me in the whole world, she was the only one who understood me and loved me for who I was..." "Jeez, that's deep." "And now she's dead." I said bitterly. Seto was silent for a moment. "How did she die?" "She was murdered...I saw it happen with my own eyes." "Shit." "Yeah. I know." "Who murdered her?" I clenched my fists. "I don't know. All I know is that he had white eyes...with no pupils." I heard a bang as Seto sat up too fast and hit his head on the bedpost. "Owwwwww."

"You ok?" "Ha, yeah. Anyway, that guy who killed her...was probably Herobrine. He's the guy in command of the squids, I dunno what he'd gain from killing your girlfriend though-" I shot out of bed and was halfway to the door before Seto grabbed my sleeve. "Where the hell are you going?!" I turned to face him, my eyes smouldering behind my sunglasses. "I'm going to find him, and kill him. I've had enough of waiting for him to show up! I've had enough of feeling hopelessness and misery creep into my bones and plant seeds of doubt in my brain! This is my chance to avenge Diamond!" Seto's eyes softened. "Please don't go getting yourself killed. You're my only friend round here for a long time!" I raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?" "Well, I'm not officially in SkyArmy, because I haven't 'proven' myself yet according to Sky." The dim light of the torch in the corner of the room cast shadows over my friends' face. "He...they only keep me around because I'm a healer. Without that, I'd be left to the mercy of the squids..." Seto looked so desolate, I gave him a hug. "No ones going to be left to the mercy of the squids anytime soon while I'm still around." He looked up at me. His eyes shining. "Thanks Ssundee. You're a great friend." I should probably mention now that I'm really tall. I was always the tallest in my class. The gangly oddball in a group of normal people. It's funny, because Diamond was the only girl the same age as me that was the same height. I guess that's another thing that makes her special to me. So a lot of people end up looking up to me. Literally. So I was kinda used to it by this time. I'd never really payed much attention to Seto's eyes before. But now he was looking at me, I could see them clearly. They were a deep, brown colour. Like chocolate. They spoke of past hardships and cruelty, but were trustworthy and honest. I smiled back at him. Then I started to feel a bit uncomfortable. I hadn't realised we were still hugging. Seto realised too and drew away quickly, embarrassed. "Sorry, it's just been so long since someone's hugged me." "Yeah...me too." Then we heard a voice calling for lights out. Sky probably. Seto took the torch down and I lay down on top of my covers, hearing Seto do the same. After a while I heard a quiet chime in the hallway and realised it was just after midnight. Seto had fallen asleep some time ago, his breathing regular and quiet. I lay there for a bit. Then silently swung my legs over the side of the bed, standing up. I reached for my sword, and crept to the door, grasping the handle and turning it without a single creak. Then I walked through and stood out in the hallway, closing the door behind me. I padded down the corridor and made my way into the living room. From here I could see the exit. I picked up the pace, still keeping quiet. Finally, I pushed the door open and it swung shut behind me...I was out.