Chapter 1

Today was my first day at university and I couldn't wait. A few months before, I picked my accommodation and was told that I'd have a room mate. I was told his name was Ashton, but that's all I found out, as he didn't turn up at the accommodation to meet me. I turned over in bed at 7am, stretching. I yawned and sat up, looking at my bags and boxes on the floor. I smiled to myself as my excitement kicked in. Thinking about my room mate, Ashton, I was surprised that the University let 2 people of the opposite gender share a room. Part of me dreaded it, but part of me was excited! But then I imagined the people in the rooms around us all hooking up with their room mates and, you know, being very loud at night...

At the university, I was studying Psychology- it had always interested me, ever since I was younger. Dragging myself out of bed, I turned my radio on. After I had a shower, I looked in the wardrobe for something to wear. I chose my ripped skinny jeans, Converse and Nirvana t-shirt- with my over-sized flannel shirt over the top.

I dragged my bags downstairs and put them by the door. Soon after, my mum came down the stairs, "Are you ready to go, Lily?" she asked. She looked as though she'd been crying. "Yeah I am.. have you been crying? Please don't cry mum." she smiled at me, looking the proudest she'd ever looked, she wiped her eyes gently. "I'm fine honey, I'll miss you though. It's going to be boring- just me and Victor!" (Victor was our German Shepard dog.) I laughed softly, I knew I was going to miss Victor a lot! "Yeah, but you'll get used to him- and hey! You never know, you might meet someone, mum!" I smiled. My parents divorced when I was 7, and ever since, my mum had been trying to find someone new. My dad had already moved on and found a new wife, who I was sure only wanted him for his money. My dad's wife, Clarissa already had 2 kids, Tammy- who was 9 and thought she knew it all and Bobby- a screaming, dribbling, bratty 3-year-old. "I'm going to see um Dad and say goodbye and stuff.." I told mum. I hated talking about Dad to Mum, because I knew that she still missed him, even though she always denied it. She looked at the floor, then back at me. She hated Clarissa and her 2 children from Hell as much as I did. "Okay, well enjoy that one," she said sarcastically, laughing. I smiled at her, "I'll try my hardest!" She smiled at me, before giving me a little wink and nudging me gently, "That's my girl!" I laughed gently.

"Right, so... I'd best be getting off Mum. Look, thank you so much for everything that you've done for me, it means a lot. More than a lot. I'm so glad to have you. And I know you''ll miss me, I'll miss you too! But I'll visit you whenever I can. I'll text you and call you as often as possible. I promise I'll study hard and try my best. I love you so much, Mum and I'll never forget everything you've done for me." Her eyes welled up as I said this, " I love you too she said," hugging me hard, "Now go on, go on your amazing adventure, gorgeous. And if you ever need help, just come home, okay? I'm always here for you." She helped me load up my car and hugged me good bye. "Good luck, Lily!" she said before I drove off, on my amazing adventure.