Chapter 3

Frostpaw's heart seemed to leap out of her chest. "Oh my Starclan! Are you serious?!" She exclaimed. Ivystorm nodded.

"I can't believe it! Congratulations!" Frostpaw excitedly congratulated. Ivystorm laughed. "Thanks. Hey, I think your sister is calling you," she said, looking at Greenpaw, who was calling Frostpaw over with a vole under her paws.

Frostpaw nodded, said goodbye, and trotted over to where Greenpaw was standing. "Guess what?" Frostpaw quickly said before Greenpaw could even let out a syllable.

"What?"

"Ivystorm is expecting kits!" Frostpaw boldly and excitedly exclaimed the news. Greenpaw smiled. "Really? That's cool!" She said. "Anyway, you should come eat with us. We're talking about things to know as an apprentice."

Frostpaw nodded. "Finally! Something an apprentice would do!" She joked.

Frostpaw found herself digging into her mouse while sitting by Greenpaw and the others.

Leapordpaw was speaking. "The first thing you need to know is hunting patrols. Every once and a while, your mentor will take you on a hunting patrol with the warriors. But before you ever do that, you learn how to hunt," he said.

Frostpaw smiled. She wondered when her first lesson on hunting would be.

"Another very important thing to know is to never, and I mean never, do something wrong. Apprentices get pretty harsh punishments. If we get in trouble, we usually have to pick ticks off of the elders, or change their bedding, or bring them extra food and stuff," Leapordpaw continued.

Frostpaw and the others spent the rest of the day talking about rules, the different prey around the area, and more.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"And this is the Great Rocks," Brightstar said, motioning to a rocky trench with a tap pine tree over it. Brightstar was showing Frostpaw the clan boundaries and the territory.

"Anything past the Great Pine belongs to Gorgeclan. During greenleaf, prey thrives in these rocks. But lately, the days have been becoming colder, and prey has been scarce. That's why tomorrow, I will show you how to catch prey and the basics of the hunting crouch," Brightstar added.

Frostpaw nodded as Brightstar continued to show her around Pineclan territory and the borders of it.

They made their way to a grey strip with yellow dotted on it. It carried a disgusting stench that sometimes stifled Frostpaw's breathing.

"This," Brightstar started, "is the Thunderpath. Monsters thrive on this, and it roars like thunder when one comes close."

The ground began to shake, startling Frostpaw. She stepped back from the Thunderpath and freaked out when a monster came roaring past. Brightstar smiled and laughed a small bit. "All apprentices are like that when they first see the Thunderpath," he said. "Even I was scared."

Frostpaw smiled and laughed with him. So far, having the clan leader as a mentor was great.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Frostpaw was close behind her leader as they walked through the camp entrance. The snow was glistening in the sun, tingling her paws until she couldn't feel them anymore.

"Frostpaw."

Frostpaw looked over to see Stonefang. "Dad? What is it?" She asked. Stonefang looked upset as he answered her. "It's your mother."

Frostpaw found herself racing to the medicine den. She made it to the entrance and was greeted by Ravenfeather, the medicine cat. "Come on in," she urged.

Frostpaw walked in and found three cats laying on bedding. She immediately noticed Tawnypaw. His nose was running and he was gently chewing on some catmint.

Frostpaw then looked over and noticed a warrior and another cat that made her stomach drop. Windstripe.

"Greencough," Ravenfeather said, walking up by Frostpaw. Frostpaw's heart sank. "Will they be okay?" She asked.

"Tawnypaw is showing signs of getting better, but the the others aren't," Ravenfeather replied. Frostpaw dipped her head. "Is there anything I can do?" She asked.

It took a moment for Ravenfeather to think. "Well... Could you go fetch me some catmint?" She asked. Frostpaw nodded. "Of course!"

She ran out of the den and made her way to the entrance, but she was stopped by Orangefang, the clan deputy.

"Where do you think you're going?" He asked. Frostpaw looked at him nervously, but calmed her nerves. "Ravenfeather asked me to go fetch some catmint for her," she answer strongly.

"Do you even know where to find catmint?" Orangefang asked. Frostpaw was silent in thought for a minute.

"Can't you find some by the Thunderpath?" She finally asked. Orangefang shook his head. "Nope. You can find some growing on the border between Leafclan and Pineclan, though," he said.

"Thanks!" Frostpaw said. She began to walk out of camp, but Orangefang stopped her again. "You can't go alone. You're a new apprentice, you could get into trouble. I'll go with you," he said. Frostpaw sighed. "Alright," she said.

The two cats made their way to the Leafclan border. "What does catmint look like?" Frostpaw asked. Orangefang sighed. "See why you needed me?" He asked. Frostpaw nodded.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Will she get better?" Frostpaw asked. Ravenfeather sighed. "I believe she should, but I'm not the one to say. Only Starclan can decide her fate," she answered.