Chapter 9

Frostpaw stalked through the forest, the scents of many prey filling the air. Leafbare was beginning to end, bringing the times of newleaf around to call out the prey. The clan would be well fed.

She stalked towards where the scent of a mouse was bringing her. Peering around in a hunting crouch, she finally spotted it, nibbling on a small seed.

She hid behind a bramble patch, watching it carefully. It hadn't moved, but instead stayed in the same position as it eagerly cracked the seed.

Frostpaw pounced. The mouse didn't have time to react before she was already on top of it, pinning it down and sinking her fangs into its flesh. She picked it up and brought it to a spot under a tree where she burried another prey.

She was on assessment. So far, she had caught five prey, all burried underground in somewhat different positions than the rest.

I have to prove myself worthy to be a warrior, she thought to herself. She wondered where Brightstar was. He was probably hiding in a bush somewhere, watching her carefully.

She was right. Brightstar had pounced out from behind a tree, pinning her down. Frostpaw picked up her hind legs and kicked him across the clearing, slamming him into a tree. She walked up to him, claws still unsheathed.

"Good work," he said, getting up and shaking himself off. "You reacted well to an attack. Your assessment is over; gather your prey and bring them back to camp."

Frostpaw nodded. She wandered over to the spots where she had burried the other prey, picked them up, and brought them to camp, her mouth watering.

"Frostpaw!"

Frostpaw turned around to see Leapordfang and Tawnynose running up to them. "How was the assessment?" Leapordfang asked.

Frostpaw nodded. "I think I did well. I caught five prey and managed to survive an attack from Brightstar," she responded. Tawnynose smiled. Leapordfang took some of the prey that Frostpaw had dropped and picked it up. "Here, let me help you carry it to the fresh kill pile."

The two cats made their way to the fresh kill pile, Tawnynose close behind them. They dropped the prey in the pile and grabbed their own pieces for them.

As Frostpaw sat down by Leapordfang, Tawnynose, Greenpaw, and Owlpaw, she noticed something missing. Something was not right. It felt as if something had disappeared, like a cat with no claws.

Then it dawned on her. She stood up and searched around frantically. "What's wrong?" Owlpaw asked. Frostpaw answered unhesitantly, "I can't find Stonefang!"

"He probably went out on the evening patrol," Greenpaw suggested, a hint of worry in her voice.

As she said that, the evening patrol arrived. Tawnynose shook his head as he noticed no sign of Stonefang.

"Where could he have gone?" Leapordfang asked. Frostpaw began to walk over to Brightstar's den. "I have to talk to Brightstar about this," she called behind her.

She stopped in front of the den entrance. "May I come in?" She asked. "Yes," Brightstar responded.

The room was dark and quiet when Frostpaw walked in. "What do you need?" Brightstar asked. Orangefang was sitting by him, making Frostpaw feel guilty that she might have interrupted a conversation.

"I can't find Stonefang," she blurted out. Brightstar and Orangefang looked at her for a second. "Now that I think about it, he didn't come back from the Gathering last night... I thought he was just doing some night hunting," Orangefang responded.

Brightstar sighed. "I know what happened to him," he said. Frostpaw's heart leapt. "Where is he?" She asked.

"I'll let you know along with the clan later tonight," Brightstar said. "Oh, also, your warrior ceremony is at the same time," he added.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"All cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather under the lichenrock for a clan meeting," Brightstar called out among the clan. The cats gathered around the lichenrock, sitting down to eagerly hear what Brightstar needed to say.

"Tonight, we have three apprentices becoming warriors. Frostpaw, please step up."

Frostpaw held back her excitement as she walked up, pride shining in her eyes.

"Frostpaw," Brightstar started, "You have completed your training as an apprentice, and you are now ready to move on as a warrior. Do you promise to uphold the warrior code, even at the cost of your life?"

Frostpaw nodded. "I do," she stated boldly.

"Then from this day forward, you will be known as Frostsong. Please sit in silence for your vigil tonight."

Frostsong couldn't believe it. She was finally a warrior! And her name sounded terrific, too!

Brightstar called Greenpaw up. "Greenpaw," he began, "You have completed your training as an apprentice, and you are now ready to move on as a warrior. Do you promise to uphold the warrior code, even at the cost of your life?"

Greenpaw nodded, her excitement shining like stars in her eyes.

"Then from this day forward, you will be known as Greengaze. Please sit in silence for your vigil tonight."

Greengaze stepped back with her sister, her head held high in pride.

"Finally, we have our last apprentice becoming a warrior tonight. Owlpaw, please step up," Brightstar ordered.

Owlpaw stepped forward to meet eyes with Brightstar. "Owlpaw, you have completed your training as an apprentice, and you are now ready to move on as a warrior. Do you promise to uphold the warrior code, even at the cost of your life?" He called out.

"Yes," Owlpaw responded.

"Then from this day forward, you will be known as Owlflight. Please sit in silence for your vigil tonight."

Owlflight nodded and stepped back, stopping and sitting by Greengaze.

"Finally, we have one more thing to discuss tonight," Brightstar called out. "Some of you may have noticed the disappearance of Stonefang."

The clan began mumbling to eachother, some agreeing and others surprised.

Brightstar flicked his tail, silencing the clan. "Sadly, he has decided to leave our clan and join Leafclan."

Brightstar's words boomed among the clan, ringing and constantly echoing in Frostsong's ears. Her head began to spin. Did her father really leave his only children to join Leafclan?

"This news concludes our meeting. If you have any other questions, please speak to Orangefang and I privately. Clan dismissed," Brightstar said. He jumped down the lichenrock and walked into his den, followed by other cats attempting to talk to him.

Frostsong, Greengaze, and Owlflight made their way to the top of the lichenrock to sit in vigil. Owlflight was smiling at them while Greengaze slightly smiled back, but then dipped her head and stared at the camp.

The wind blew against Frostsong's fur, surprisingly warm as newleaf brought an end to the cold. Her attention was fixed on the forest, mainly towards Leafclan.

Her father was somewhere over there, probably trying to fit in the best he could. Why did he leave? Frostsong thought to herself. He wouldn't have left without reason. Why did he go, and what is he hiding?