Chapter 20

Froststar stood at the base of the lichenrock, watching the clan's activity carefully. She smiled. Leapordfang was helping Tawnynose appoint some patrols. Badgerkit, Milkkit, and Hawkkit were playing with a ball of moss in the clearing. The sun was slowly beginning to set, and she knew that Pineclan must go to the Gathering tonight.

Froststar leaped up onto the lichenrock. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather around the lichenrock for a clan meeting," she called out. The cats gathered and sat down, watching her.

"Tonight is the Gathering. We must go, and I must gather the cats that will go tonight," she said. Rosebriar spoke up from among the crowd. "Can we really trust Groundclan at the Gathering? What if they attack?"

Froststar shook her head and replied, "We can trust them tonight. The Gathering is a time of peace for the clans." The cats nodded, and a murmur of agreement broke out from the crowd.

"The cats that will be going are Northspring, Mottledmist, Rosebriar, Leapordfang, Tawnynose, Ivystorm, Blackclaw, and Jaysong. The others will stay back and guard the clan." The cats nodded, and the ones who were going to the Gathering gathered around the base of the lichenrock.

"Are you guys ready?" Froststar asked, jumping down into the group. They nodded. "Then let's head out."

By the time they made their way to the Meeting Pond, the moon was almost fully risen. The Pineclan cats broke out from the bracket patches and bushes and into the clearing.

"Ah. Pineclan," Lichenstar said, padding over to Froststar, "it's about time you showed up. Where is... Brightstar?" Froststar scowled. "You know what happened, Lichenstar. We will discuss this when it is time."

The two leaders jumped up onto the meeting rock at the center of the pond, and Fallenstar soon followed after them. Lichenstar let out a yowl to silence the cats and bring their attention to them.

"Cats of all clans," he began, "welcome to the Gathering. Pineclan, would you like to begin?" Froststar nodded. She stepped forward and began to speak.

"Brightstar has died in a recent war," she said, glaring at Lichenstar. "Being his deputy, I have traveled to the Ninetree and recieved my nine lives from Starclan. I am now Froststar."

The cats gathered around nodded in appreciation. "Our new deputy is Tawnynose. That is all we will share tonight," she concluded. Lichenstar nodded and stepped forward.

"Congratulations on becoming leader, Froststar," Lichenstar began. "My news to share is that Leafclan and Gorgeclan have joined to create Groundclan, as many of you know. I am the main leader of it, and Fallenstar is our side leader."

The Pineclan cats in the clearing did not look happy. Lichenstar added, "And Froststar, we have a preposition. Groundclan would like to join clans with yours. If you agree, we would be the biggest clan of the forest! If you reject our offer, we won't hesitate to destroy you."

Froststar glared at Lichenstar as the Pineclan cats snarled and yowled in protest. She whipped her tail to silence her clan.

"Lichenstar," she began, "what would a forest be without more than one clan? Who would be there to maintain each territory individualy? How would we be able to do that together? Starclan needs more than one clan in this forest to maintain each territory. Would you really defy the name of Starclan, just for power?"

Lichenstar glared at her. "I'll ask again, Froststar. Do you accept our offer to join clans?" The cats were all silent as they waited for Froststar's response.

"No. Pineclan will remain an individual clan, alone," Froststar finally responded. Lichenstar grimaced. "Very well, then. We will make Groundclan the most powerful clan of the forest, one way or another. Groundclan cats, back to the clan!" He called out, sending the Groundclan cats on their way home.

Fallenstar hesitated and turned to Froststar. "Thank you for taking in my kit," she said before taking off with the rest of her clan. Froststar smiled after her.

"Pineclan, back to camp!" She called out. The Pineclan cats nodded and took off as she led them, racing back to camp to prepare for the upcoming disaster.