Chapter 18

Frostsong opened her eyes. She looked around. She was in a field with tall grass and trees surrounding her; the sky was a pale purplish with stars glittering in it, and a purple aura seemed to fill the air.

"Welcome," a voice called out. Frostsong spun around to see a pure white cat with silver striped on his tail facing her. "I am Whitestar, one of the former leaders of Pineclan. It is time for you to become the new Pineclan leader; we will guide your body up the Ninetree, and with every leap, you will receive a life. Let us begin," he said.

He walked towards Frostsong and rested his head on her muzzle. "With this life I give you courage. Use it to guide youe clan in all the faces of danger you may meet."

A searing pain shot through Frostsong like thunder, but she contained her shouts in her head.

Whitestar backed up and let another she-cat step up. It was Windstripe. "With this life I give you love. Use it to get through the hardest times of life, and to love your clan like you do your mate." She rested her head against Frostsong's, and a pleasant but unexpected feeling shot to her heart.

Windstripe backed up and let a small, dark kit step up. It was Shadowkit. "Hi, mom!" He exclaimed. Frostsong wanted cry out of sorrow at the sight of her lost kit, but she maintained her sadness. "With this life I give you the strength of revenge. Use it only when times are needed, and only in the worst of them all," he squeaked. He rested his head against her shoulder, and a powerful strength shot through her muscles.

Shadowkit backed up, and Orangefang stepped up. "With this life I give you wisdom. Use it to guide your clan wisely," he stated. He placed his head against her muzzle, and a pain worst than the first shot through her. She couldn't help but let out a whimper.

Orangefang stepped back, and a dark brown tom stepped up. "I am Pinestar, the original leader of Pineclan. With this life I give you leadership. Use it wisely to guide your clan to victory." He placed his head to hers, and a surprisingly pleasant feeling ran through her body.

Pinestar stepped back, and a spotted cat stepped up. "I am Dappledpelt, one of the original deputies of Pineclan. With this life I give you hope for the future of your clan." A feeling like lightning ran up Frostsong as they connected their heads.

As Dappledpelt stepped back, Brightstar stepped forward. "Frostsong," he began, "I am so proud to see you become leader. With this life, I give you strength to fight your enemies. Use it for every use needed." He rested his head against hers, and the worst pain shot through her as if she were dying.

A final feeling of relief flooded through her as all the cats appeared again, and Brightstar spoke up. "You have received your nine lives, and you will now be known as Froststar. We will always guide you, and you will lead your clan well. Froststar!" He yowled.

"Froststar!" The other cats shouted in unison after him. Froststar stepped back and looked at them with pride.

Suddenly, the cats disappeared except for Brightstar. He remained and spoke up:

"The prophecy is almost complete," he said, a serious look in his eyes. "Leaves will join the ground, and frost will cover the rest."

"But what is going to happen?" Froststar asked aloud.

"That is for you to find out."

The purple area began to fade away, and Froststar backed up, not sure what would happen.

----------------------------------------------------

Froststar opened her eyes, sighing in relief that she had only woke up. The relief flooded away as she suddenly felt wind in her fur and looked down to see the forest. She was on top of the Ninetree.

She remembered Ravenfeather's words: "When you wake up, you will be at the top. You must jump off. Then that will prove your bravery as a leader."

She looked down. She recoiled back at the sight of the ground, eight branches under her. She sighed. If Brightstar could do it, I can, too, she thought to herself.

The top of the tree was a thick branch, the nineth one. She backed up on it, took a deep breath, and ran forward, leaping as her front paws felt no air at the end.

The wind howled in her ears. Starclan, help me! She thought as she was falling down. The ground grew closer, and she held out her front paws to land.

When they impacted with the ground, a shock was sent through her body. She collided her back feet, and helped herself with a little bounce before laying down in shock. Ravenfeather stood over her.

"Let me check your paws," she said. She looked at her front legs, and then her back, and nodded. "Your good. When Brightstar jumped down, he broke one of his paws," Ravenfeather announced. Froststar smiled. "Let's head back to camp," she said, triggering Ravenfeather to nod.