Chapter 13

"Let all cats old enough to hunt their own prey gather under the lichenrock for a clan meeting."

Brightstar's words boomed across the clan. The cats exited their dens and gathered under the lichenrock, looking up at their brave leader.

"As you all know, last night, we found Frostsong's missing kit, Shadowkit, dead at the Great Rocks. I would like us to take a moment to mourn for his loss before I continue."

Shadowkit's body was layed in the center of the clan, and all the cats gathered around it to share tongues with him one last time before they buried him.

"Who would have done such a thing?" Jaysong, now an elder, called out. "I was getting to that," Brightstar said. "We have reason to believe that Gorgeclan has killed Shadowkit. We found many scents of Gorgeclan, along with some of their fur.

Yowls of rage and anger rang through the camp. Brightstar silenced them. "Don't worry. Orangefang and I have already plotted an attack. We will move out with a patrol group in three sunrises. Gorgeclan has made their first mark of war, and we gladly fight back."

The Pineclan cats nodded in agreement. "Our next order of business," Brightstar began, "is to apprentice three new kits. Mottledkit, Rosekit, and Northkit, please step up."

Frostsong's three kits stepped up proudly. "Mottledkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time you become an apprentice. From this day forward, you will be known as Mottledpaw. Your mentor will be Owlflight. May he pass down all the knowledge he knows to you to make you a great warrior."

Mottledpaw and Owlflight touched noses.

"Rosekit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time you become an apprentice. From this day forward, you will be known as Rosepaw. Your mentor will be Leapordfang. May he pass down all the knowledge he knows to you to make you a great warrior."

Rosepaw and Leapordfang touched noses.

"Northkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time you become an apprentice. From this day forward, you will be known as Northpaw. Your mentor will be Greengaze. May she pass down all the knowledge she knows to you to make you a great warrior."

Northpaw and Greengaze touched noses, and Brightstar spoke up.

"This ends the clan meeting. Clan dismissed."

The clan seperated, and Frostsong watched as her three kits raced up to her. "Mom! Mom! We're finally warriors!" They exclaimed. Frostsong nodded. "That's great!" She felt a pang of sadness, knowing that Shadowkit should have been there with them.

As her three kits raced off, she was thinking about the battle in three sunrises. I'm going to join that battle, she thought to herself, and I'll be the first to tear open Lichenstar's throat.