Chapter 16

Frostsong awoke to hear the sound of yowling. She quickly jumped up and ran outside the medicine den. Her pupils were slit; she was fearful that Groundclan was launching an attack.

When she burst outside the entrance to the den, the fur on her back layed flat as she noticed no cats in the clearing except for the regular Pineclan cats. It was morning.

Frostsong looked around. Where could the screaming have come from? She was startled to hear it again, coming from the nursery. She smiled. She knew that Greengaze was expecting kits with Owlflight, but she didn't think they would come this soon.

She decided to go hunt. As she left the nursery, Leapordfang followed after her. "I don't want you to go alone," he said. "You never know when Groundclan could attack." Frostsong sighed and shrugged. "I guess it is better to have some company," she said.

She cracked open her mouth to drink in the fresh scent of mouse. Peering around, she saw a mouse laying in the center of a clearing on the Groundclan border. Except it was dead.

"Wait... Did someone forget to collect their kill?" Leapordfang asked. Frostsong shook her head. "I don't think so... Why else would it be not buried and laying in the center of a clearing, oblivious to anyone?" She stated. Leapordfang sighed. "I'll go hide in a bush... You can go get the mouse, and if anything happens, I'm here to help you out," he suggested, then ran off to hide in a nearby bush.

Frostsong gulped. This was a bad idea. She took in a deep breath, and before she went to collect the prey, she heard a voice.

"Frostpaw."

Frostsong looked ahead of her, stopping in her tracks. The bush behind the mouse rustled, and out came a very familiar cat. Stonefang.

"It's Frostsong now," she grunted. He sighed, a look of sorrow in his eyes. "Alright... Frostsong... I wanted to tell you that I'm sorry. I was a terrible father to you before I left," he said. "Things have changed in this clan, and I can't take it anymore. Will you... Will you let me back in to Pineclan?"

Frostsong glared at him. "No. I don't have any proof that you've changed, and you've lost my trust the day you left," she stated. Stonefang sighed. "I thought that you'd say that..." He mumbled.

He went back into the bush and came out, holding what looked like a small fur bundle. It was black with white and dark grey stripes running through it, and it's eyes remained closed.

"This is your brother, Badgerkit," he said. Frostsong was shocked. "Who's the mother?" She asked. Stonefang answered with a look of sorrow in his eyes, "Fallenstar. If Lichenstar found out that she mated with me, he would surely kill her. So I, along with her, ask that you take in your brother and save him from the disaster we've gotten ourselves into."

Frostsong was stunned, tears swelling in her eyes. She had a brother. He seemed to resemble Shadowkit so much... And she knew she couldn't let Groundclan get a hold of a loved one again.

Reluctantly, she nodded and took the kit. At that moment, Leapordfang hopped out of the bushes. "Are you crazy? What will Brightstar say to this?!" He wondered aloud. Frostsong sighed. "He would have made the same decision," she replied. She nodded to Stonefang with one last look and walked off, Leapordfang at her heels.

----------------------------------------------------

When she arrived, she immediately rushed to Brightstar's den. When he let her in, he was surprised to see the kit dangling from her mouth. "Where did you get this kit?" He asked.

"I found him on our territory while I was hunting. He smells of Groundclan, so I assumed that he must have just wandered through or was rejected," Frostsong quickly lied. Brightstar looked at it for a minute, then back at her. "Who will care for it? You're already the deputy," he said.

"I'll see if my sister can care for him," Frostsong relied. Brightstar nodded. "If she agrees, then he can stay. Otherwise, he will have to leave."

Frostsong found herself in the nursery in front of Greengaze, quickly and silently explaining the details of what happened with her and Stonefang, trying to be pursuasive as possible.

"Alright, I can care for him!" Greengaze interrupted. "I have plenty of milk to spare."

"Thank you so much!" Frostsong thanked. Greengaze nodded. "I'm sure Milkkit and Hawkkit will enjoy the company, too." Milkkit and Hawkkit were her two newborns.

Suddenly, a cry so loud came from the center of the camp, forcing Frostsong to her feet and bringing her out of the nursery.

"Groundclan, attack!"