Chapter 4

Frostkit looked around. The scent of a fresh mouse had caught her attention, and she looked over to see it in the middle of a field, nibbling on a nut. She was ready. She could catch this. She dropped into a hunting crouch.

How do I know the hunting crouch? I haven't even learned or seen it before! She thought to herself.

She gently walked forward only to step on a twig, alerting the mouse of her presence. It looked at her with its big, black, beady eyes and bolted.

Frostpaw raced after it. She was determined to sink her teeth into its juicy flesh.

She was catching up fast. When she was about a tail length away, it suddenly jumped, revealing a cliff in front of her. She was too late to stop herself and plummeted into it.

She was falling, and fast, too. The mouse had disappeared. It was just her falling out of the dark sky around her. I'm going to die, she thought to herself wearily.

She neared the ground, and she finally hit it, but she didn't feel any pain. She wasn't dead.

She got up on her paws and looked straight forward. In front of her was a large tree full of green leaves. The leaves withered away quickly and fell off as if time was speeding up, but one leaf remained untouched.

It finally fell off the tree and sailed over Frostpaw's head. She turned around and watched as it hit the ground and seemed to mend into it.

Frostpaw suddenly felt cold air behind her back. She turned around to find that the tree had disappeared, and a small hill, more like a lump, with flowers surrounding it took its place. Standing on the hill was Windstripe.

"Mom!" Frostpaw shouted, smiling. Windstripe looked better and healthier than she had seen her in the medicine den. She spoke up.

"Leaves will join the ground, and frost will cover the rest."

Windstripe began to fade away. "Wait, mom, don't go!" Frostpaw called out.

It was too late. Once she disappeared, frost began to cover the area, starting from the back of the hill to the front it. It quickly grew towards Frostpaw, and she didn't have time to back away before it had grown up her legs and frozen her.

"Frostpaw!"

Frostpaw opened her eyes, the cold stinging her face. It was just a dream.

She looked around for where the voice came from and noticed Ravenfeather standing in front of her. "Frostpaw!" She called again.

"What it is that you have to wake me up in the middle of the night?" Frostpaw complained. Ravenfeather looked annoyed.

"It's your mother. I'm sorry, Frostpaw, but she passed in her sleep last night."

Frostpaw couldn't say anything. Her mind was racing, and the world seemed to be spinning. She couldn't believe that her mother had died.

"W-where is she?" She stuttered. "Her body is in the medicine den. Greenpaw is waiting there already," Ravenfeather responded.

Frostkit wearily got up and made her way to the medicine den. She looked through the entrance to see Greenpaw licking Windstripe's body. She turned to face Frostpaw as she noticed her coming in.

"Frostpaw..." She started. Frostpaw shook her head. "I know," she said. She slowly walked over to Windstripe's carcass and settled down by it. She began to lick it, grooming her body.

"Goodbye, mother," she whispered. She noticed that her body looked terrible compared to what it looked like in her dream. If only she could have said goodbye to her mother in her dream...

A thought suddenly occurred to her.
"Ravenfeather," Frostpaw started. "Yeah?" Ravenfeather asked.

"Can I speak to you? In private?" Frostpaw asked.

Ravenfeather nodded, a hint of interest in her eyes.

They walked out of the den. The camp was still asleep. "What is it?" Ravenfeather asked.

"Well... I had a dream last night," Frostpaw answered truthfully. Ravenfeather leaned in closer.

"I was hunting a mouse, and then I was falling, and there was something about leaves falling and frost and trees... But the whole point is that I saw Windstripe," Frostpaw confessed.

Ravenfeather looked concerned. "When did you see her?" She asked.

"Near the end of the dream."

Ravenfeather had a stern expression that was also full of question. "Did she say anything to you?" She asked.

"Yeah..." Frostpaw started,"she said something like 'Leaves will join the ground, and frost will cover the rest,' or at least I think..."

Ravenfeather cut her off. "Frostpaw," she started. Frostpaw noticed the soft but stern tone in her voice and immediately knew that what she was going to say was serious.

"Frostpaw, Windstripe came to you from Starclan in you sleep. That was a message from Starclan."

Frostpaw was surprised. "What does it mean?" She asked. "And why did they give it to me?"

Ravenfeather looked down, deep in thought. "I'm not sure," she confessed, "but I'll have to look into it. You and Greenpaw should get some sleep. We'll bury Windstripe's carcass in the morning."

Frostpaw nodded and walked to the den. She layed down on the comfortable bedding as Greenpaw walked in.

"So, we only have dad left, huh?" She said. Frostpaw nodded.

"I'm too tired to think," she said. Greenpaw nodded and layed down by her to comfort her. Frostpaw closed her eyes and immediately fell asleep.