Chapter 15

Frostsong was laying in the medicine den with Blackclaw. Spiderpaw was treating her wounds, and Ravenfeather was treating Blackclaw's.

"Frostsong, I'm going to become a real medicine cat at my next journey to the Ninetree!" Spiderpaw told her as she placed chewed yarrow on her wounds. The Ninetree was the place where the medicine cats and leaders could interact with Starclan. It was a tree with nine thick branches, and usually as a leader gained their nine lives, Starclan would help them make their way up the tree. That's all Frostsong knew of the process, as told by the elders.

"That's great, Spiderpaw! It'll be nice for you to become a full medicine cat!" She exclaimed. "Now, I have to talk to Blackclaw for a minute. Are you almost done?"

Spiderpaw nodded. "Ravenfeather and I will stay out for a minute; but don't take too long. We still need to treat some scratches and bites."

The two medicine cats walked out of the medicine den, leaving Blackclaw and Frostsong alone.

"Blackclaw," Frostsong began, "what can you tell us about Gorgeclan and Leafclan?"

Blackclaw didn't hesitate; it seemed as if he wanted to share the information with her for a long time. "Gorgeclan and Leafclan have joined together to make Groundclan," he began. "It all started when Fallenstar decided to give Gorgeclan some of their territory. After that, Lichenstar had plotted an attack on their base. I was a warrior who went with them to the battle. We ended up winning, and Lichenstar persuaded Fallenstar to join clans. That's when Groundclan was born."

Frostsong looked at him with deep concern in her eyes. "Thank you for the information," she said. "I need to go talk with Brightstar now."

She stood up and padded out of the den. "Where do you think you're going? You're not healed fully yet!" Ravenfeather croaked at her. Frostsong shot her a glance, and Ravenfeather shut up in respect.

Some warriors came up to her as she neared Brightstar's den. "Frostsong, the patrols?" Redpelt asked, being one of the warriors along with them. Frostsong blushed, realizing she forgot to schedule to sunset patrols.

"Oh, yes... Redpelt, you, Greengaze, Northpaw, Volepaw, and Ivystorm will go on the sunset hunting patrol. Owlflight, you, Tawnynose, Mottledpaw, and Leapordfang will go on the border patrol," she ordered. The cats nodded and headed off to gather everybody.

Frostsong finally padded in to the leader's den. "Brightstar, I need to talk to you. I have urgent news," she said. "Yes?" Brightstar asked.

"Blackclaw said that Gorgeclan and Leafclan have joined together to create Groundclan. They have shared their territory with eachother, and I believe that it's only a matter of time before they launch an attack to take our clan," Frostsong explained.

Brightstar was silent. His concentration seemed to have been focused on the ground. After a moment of silence, he asked, "Have I ever told you how Whitestar died?"

Frostsong shook her head. "I think Missingfang started to tell me when I was a kit... But she never finished."

"That battle I was in when I was a warrior... That battle was the roughest battle of my life. I had seen Whitestar's death before my very eyes, and the cat that killed him. It was Lichenstar. Not only did Lichenstar take away something precious from me, but he took away something precious from you, too. And now, I believe the prophecy is taking place," he explained.

Frostsong was confused. Surely he couldn't have known about the prophecy Windstripe gave to her... Right?

"Leaves will join the ground, and frost will cover the rest. Ravenfeather told me," Brightstar confessed.

Frostsong was stunned. He knew about it the whole time! Not only that, but as she looked back on it, she realized that half of the prophecy had already been fulfilled. Leaves with join the ground. Leafclan joined Gorgeclan and created Groundclan.

When Frostsong said nothing, Brightstar added, "I need to let you know that I am also on my last life."

Frostsong continued not to speak, the shock overwhelming her. "W-what? You can't be on your last life! What happens when you die?" She asked.

"When I die," Brightstar responded, "I will go to Starclan, and you will take my place."

"But I'm not ready to be leader! I was just given the position of the deputy!"

"I'm sure you'll be ready when the time comes," Brightstar ended the conversation. "Now go back to the medicine den and finish getting healed. I must prepare myself for the future and take some time to think."

Frostsong nodded and walked out of the den, her tail in between her legs, for she was scared of the future. She stepped into the medicine den, layed down, and fell asleep as Spiderpaw worked on her wounds.