Prologue

Point of View: Roman, Third Person
Timeline: Present Day

"I just don't understand why you won't talk to me!" Roman yelled, clearly frustrated. "That's not how relationships work, Virgil! We lean on each OTHER."

"Well I DON'T lean on anyone," Virgil snapped back, fists clenched against his sides. Virgil's pale face looked slightly pink which proved he must be LIVID right now - the maddest Roman had ever seen him. "I don't rely on anyone. Never have, never will.  I JUST don't let people in. And if that bothers you, then the door's right there."

Roman could see in Virgil's eyes he didn't want him to go. 

Virgil's so stupidly stubborn, Roman thought, but he'd never admit it.  Even now I see him tensing, bracing himself for the blow of me leaving.

"I just...don't understand why you won't let me in," Roman dropped his voice to a normal level, quiet even. "It feels like I'm always... chasing you. Why do you keep running away from me? Why?"

"Please leave," Virgil whimpered. His voice was so quiet. "Just... Go."  Virgil turned, his hands gripping the counter so tightly his knuckles turned white.

Roman reached out, almost instinctively to rest a hand on his shoulder, give him some kind of warmth, but Virgil yanked himself away at the last second with a hiss - as if Roman's touched would burn him - and the only thing Roman touched was air.

"Come and find me if you change your mind," Roman said, not looking up as he spoke, knowing that if he looked up and saw Virgil's face he wouldn't have the strength to leave.

And Roman always gave Virgil what he wanted.

Roman moved to the door and slowly closed it behind him, giving Virgil every chance to stop him, every chance to let him in, every chance to mend everything they had together.

Long after Roman had shut the door, he hovered on the other side, some silly part of Roman hoping that Virgil would open it. Some part of Roman hoping that Virgil would open it and see him and take him back.

He didn't.

After about an hour of waiting outside his door, Roman teleported blindly to his room, hardly making it to the toilet before he puked.

Roman noticed he was shaking, the realization of what was happening hit him so harshly it ripped the air from his lungs, making it impossible to breath normally.

How had we come this far?  How had we come from not knowing each other at all to needing each other so badly?

Well, I guess he didn't need me as much as I'd thought.

Some unrecognizable time later, Roman laid on his bed, muffling his sobs into his pillow. He didn't want anyone to know how much this hurt - gosh why did it hurt so much?

Why?

How had he let this happen? How had he let Virgil do this to him? How had Roman given him EVERYTHING and recieved nothing but heartbreak in return?

How had I let him take my heart if he was only going to break it?

______________________________