Chapter Eleven

PREVIOUSLY:

"How are you feeling, son? Are you feeling any better?"  Patton asked gently once Virgil had awoken from another one of his daily naps.

Virgil didn't respond, getting to his feet.  Patton followed, stunned, as Virgil went into the kitchen and grabbed a cookie from the cookie jar - a chocolate chip cookie.

"Are... are you feeling any better, Virgil?" 

Silence.

"I feel...empty."

__________

P.O.V.: Roman, Third Person

Timeline: PRESENT DAY

Roman didn't want to leave his room.

But he didn't want to stay in his room either. Not when there were so many painful memories here.

Roman sighed, shoving his bangs back, staring in the mirror at his disheveled appearance.

He really looked quite awful - he wasn't blind to the dark circles under his eyes. He frowned, reaching far back into a drawer for something he hadn't used in a while...

Pulling out the concealer, Roman applied some under his eyes, hiding the evidence of his lack of sleep the best he could.

What did it matter to the others that he had suddenly become an insomniac?

Roman gripped the counter, bracing himself. He was strong. He could do this. All he had to do was go outside, drop an idea in Thomas's head, and come back once it was executed.

He never needed Vi- Anxiety to do that before. Why was it suddenly so much harder?

"Roman?"

Roman froze, not prepared for Patton to be here so soon. The poor dad character had been bouncing between Vir- Anxiety and himself all week, doing his best to hold the remains of what V- ANXIETY left behind together.

Roman turned towards the doorway, fake smile already on his face.

Patton wasn't meeting his eyes, eyes locked on his own gray socks.

"Patton?" Roman asked slowly, "Are you okay?"

Patton lifted his eyes up to mine, and Roman immediately stopped breathing as the tears Patton had been trying to hide rolled down his cheeks. Patton's hands were trembling at his sides, his hands rolled into fists.

"Oh, Roman. How do you bear it?" Patton whispered, horrified.  "Is this how you feel... all the time?"

Patton. The core of feelings. There was no way Roman could hide what he was feeling from Patton, like Roman could with everyone else. There was no reason - nor way - to pretend that he was okay.

And he'd only be lying to himself if he tried.

But for now, Patton was a temporary solution. One so that he could have a clear head.

"How long do I have?" Roman asked, eyes not meeting the fatherly figure's.

"I'll hold them as long as I can - but I suggest you be... fast," Patton said.

Roman had Creation - the ability to create anything within his realm of knowledge

Patton had Empathy - the ability to sense and in emergency situations "hold onto" another sides feelings.

This was an emergency situation.

"Are you ready?" Patton asked.

Roman nodded and closed his eyes, waiting. While his eyes were shut, a tear slipped out, but he didn't bother to wipe it away.