7.1 - Finals. Winners, Part 1

I'm almost done packing when Gaspard comes to say goodbye. He watches me from the doorstep for a while, and startles me when I finally notice him.
- So easy to spook, - he comments, as I pull out a cane from under the bed and put on a backpack. Travelling light is really convenient when you have just one free hand. Still, he helps me adjust the bag on my back.
- ... But hard to put down, it seems, - my partner continues, - You don't look disappointed.
- It just hasn't hit me yet. I'll be bawling my eyes out tomorrow, when I get home, - I reply, pushing him back to the corridor and lock the door. Karen hears me leaving and comes out too. As always, she leans on the wall and gives me a sad grin:
- Oh, shoot, you're already going? Not even a goodbye?
- Well, goodbye!
- Oh really.
She steps in for a little hug.
- So what are you going to do now? - she asks then.
Question of the century.
- Not a single idea, - I confess, - For now, I go home and... I don't know, start making videos on schedule? Writing songs for other singers? Try the Voice in Belgium?... And oh, right, I almost forgot. I actually sent my documents to the Academy of Arts, so let's see how it goes!
- Well whatever you choose, good luck with that.
- Nah. You two need it more than me.

***

My train departs late in the evening, and I don't feel like waiting at the station for 9 hours. So I leave my things and do what I always do when I feel lost and in need of some peace of mind - wander.
I don't think about what happens next, I'm in some kind of limbo, between two chapters of my story. I turn up the music in my headphones, I smile to strangers, I visit random shops and follow the first gust.
My way leads me to the subway, where I spend some time just riding trains and looking at people around me. I remember riding like this to see Mika, and decide to check on him.

***

He picks up after a while, and I start to worry that he's busy.
- Hi Alice! - he greets me cheerfully, and I hear music fade in the background. It was something really poppy and certainly new, and I dare to ask what it is.
- It's my house, - he responds with a riddle, and laughs, - I'm not telling you more! So you're out the studio, I suppose?
- Yeah. And I'm shamelessly offering you my company for the rest of the day.
- Well... It's your last day in Paris, right? Get over here then. You know where to find me.

***

- No chandelier-swinging yesterday, I see, - he makes a remark as soon as he sees me. Ugh, and he looks perfect as usual. Can't really tell that he went to bed late yesterday.
- You look great too, - I smirk in reply, - Do you actually think that low of me?
- Well I used to think you had quite a relationship with a wine bottle, 'cause most of the time you were either strangely cheerful, or grumpy with no apparent reason. It's nice to know I was wrong, for a change.
He looks around, as people go by:
- So where are we heading?
I shrug. Nothing came to mind, really, and now that he's here, all I want is to keep him around. Doesn't matter what place we go and what we do.
Mika seems to understand my hesitation. He sighs.
- You have nowhere else to go, don't you.
He pulls out his phone and taps a message.
- Chez moi, then, - he explains, - I'll take my girls out for a walk. You know retrievers get bored easily if you leave them at home all alone, and I don't have anyone to look for them today.

***

While we wait for taxi, Mika asks me what had happened the night before. He had his thoughts, but he was curious to know.
I tell him as it was - the shock, the confusion, the complete willingness and acceptance to lose, the sudden determination to make a decision myself. He looks at me with that same amused understanding I saw before.
- I guess you learned everything you needed to learn.

***

It takes 10 minutes to get to his apartment. I remember him telling me that his home is not far from the studio, and realise he called for the car just to spare me from walking more than my hurt leg can take.

- Oh look at them! It's like I was gone for ages! - Mika laughs as Melachi and Amira give us a warm welcome. Especially Mel, since it turns out she's got a voice truly worthy of her owner. Amira, like the princess she is, timidly runs around, wiggling her fluffy tail.
Mika has to kneel to stop the ginger from trying to give him a hug - real, human hug, by putting her front paws on his shoulders. She can only reach slightly above his waist, and I guess he figured it would be better if he gives her a hug himself.
- Hey you beauties, - I mumble to them, rubbing Amira's neck, and turn to Mika: - Is it normal that they're so friendly?
- Well yeah. They like everyone I like!

It's like they can understand human language perfectly, - I wonder, watching Mika's dogs follow him around on the street without much need of a pool and react to his every command. We walk slowly and make sure that, if needed, there's a place to rest in line of sight.
- So what's your next move, Alice? - Mika returns to the same topic. I take a second to reply.
- Now that I had the time to think, and just look around and appreciate this city... I want to stay, actually. Maybe not downtown, I'll be happy if I find a place on the outskirts. Then I'd study, or work, or make music with Gaspard - you know that he wanted to settle down here too?
- He may have told me once, yeah. Well he's not going anywhere for the rest of the week. If you somehow manage to find a place to live, I can't see a problem in that.
- If, - I shrug, realising that I've never had to move on my own. Hell, the only apartment I lived in back in Cannes was originally rented by my mother.
- What about that music college application you said you would try? Did you send your documents there?
- Oh yeah, - I sigh, - I didn't really want to bring it up. Yes, I got there today. Not lucky enough for a college like that... Or not educated enough, I guess.
- Huh, - that is all I hear from Mika. It's like he was so sure it would work.
- It's okay, - I try to reassure him, - This is nothing. I'll find a teacher and get a proper training, and try again. I'm way too used to trying.
- But I want to help! - he exclaims in frustration. My ex-coach needs a moment before he continues, - For quite selfish reasons, in fact. I imagine myself at the start of my career, told that I have a potential in music, but with no one to turn to for help. Where would I be if not a teacher - your compatriot, actually - that had me started. There has to be a way.
- Mika, - I say firmly, - I'm not 12 years, you know. It's okay, I'll handle it.
- Yeah, of course you will, - he tries hard to believe me, it seems, - I know it.