7.6 - Finals. The Show, Part 2

- Speaking of winners, - Gaspard finally puts the can away and turns to me, - Are you still into gambling? What's your prediction for the end of this night?
- You seriously want to discuss this?
He gives me an annoyed look:
- Even if I'm terrified of the idea, I'm still willing to listen to your honest opinion. Come on, hit me.
- I can't tell you before I hear all of you.
Wizard makes a gesture towards the porch, where we walk, to catch the ending of Flori's performance.
She's standing on stage in a single ray of light. Seems like the show switched to minimalism towards the Finale, maybe to highlight the performer's personality. Either way, it worked with Flori - her voice says everything more than any visuals. She's calm and quiet at the beginning, more like explaining something. But as the song progresses to the second verse and more instruments join her, she slowly builds the intensity and emotion in her voice, so that the chorus sounds different somehow, although she didn't change a single note. By the outro her voice drowns in heavy drums and strings, and she shouts the last words in the air, raising her hands as if they help her release them.
- Wow, - I hear Gaspard whisper next to me as the audience give her a standing ovation, - Now who can beat that?
- Yeah. If somebody wins tonight, it's her, - I shake my head, - No offence.
He shrugs on my words.
- Unless Jenifer picked something good for Karen.
I realise that I forgot how she sounds, and it strikes me one more time just how strange her voice combines the power and fragility, quite matching her appearance of a fairytale warrior. I don't remember if she used both of these two of her voices in one piece, but it worked, like the acapella-like staging worked on Flori. It adds to the fact that Karen performs a well-known song, changing it so much I didn't recginze it at first.
- What do you think about her, then? - I ask Wizard when she's off the stage.
- She's one in a million, and the audience might appreciate it more than your regular talents like Flori and I.
- Regular?
- I mean... Yeah, we sing well. But there's always thousands of kids with good voices out there.
- Maybe they'll stick to something they know well, - I suggest, and he shrugs again.
- You never know when it comes to voting. So what's your last word? Karen or Flori?
- I'd go for the weird. So what happens if I'm right?
- I... have no idea. You win?
- I thought you had it planned already. Plus something humiliating if I lose.
- Well I didn't tell you about the second part! If you lose, you'll agree to the first offer you get! Musical, label, hell, another show in your home country, whatever it will be!
- And if I win, it means, you lose, and get to do what I tell you.
- Sure, sounds fair, - he agrees.
- Well that's better than anything my friends would come up with. Deal.

***

- In this envelope, - Nikos holds up a thin red piece of paper, - Is the name of the talent, someone you, our TV audience, has decided to give a chance - to win the Voice, to live their dream, to meet with you again.
The host falls silent, as the coach's arms around their talents visibly tighten. I see that Mika is whispering something to Gaspard, while he tries to maintain a smile. Flori fiddles with her skirt, eyes down on the floor. Lucas, who is standing next to his coach Florent, is unreadable. The only person who is not nervous, seems to me, is Karen. Her grin is sincere, as she's watching someone in the audience. It's almost as if she's about to burst into laughter. I lean further on the porch to try to see who it is, and find the same guy she had as her support last week. Right. Now I wish I had something to do to make Wizard feel better.
Nikos speaks again:
- So. The winner of the Voice is...
Pause again. He opens the envelope. Take a breath. And says the name:
- Flori Legrand.
Silence bursts into sounds. Applause. Shouting. Bright lights. Flori is in the arms on her coach, feet hanging in the air as he spins her around, laughing. I see her roads her hands again with what looks like relief. Just for a second, though, then she gets surrounded by other talents.
I catch her receiving the trophy from the last year's winner before I turn away and leave the balcony. I don't wait backstage for too long when the broadcast ends and I get to give her a bear hug of my own.
- This is absurd! - Flo shouts, and we jump, holding each other, like little girls, - Can you believe it?
- I do, but it's okay. It's gonna hit you when you see this next to your bed this morning, don't worry, - I laugh, pointing to her trophy.
- Yeah, right. It's going to take more than one night to get used to it, though. And this, - she nods at the photographer approaching us, - This will take some time too.

***

Gaspard is talking to Mika, sitting on the arm of his coach chair, and they both notice me at the same time.
- You lost, - the first thing Wizard says when I get closer. My first impulse is to say "You too", but remembering how upsetting it was for him to even think of that, I figured what he needs instead is encouragement.
- And he's getting you into another adventure, right, - Mika laughs, - Whatever it is that he made you do.
- Yeah, and he isn't even letting me congratulate him first, - I take a place on the other arm of the chair. Gaspard snorts on my words.
- Congratulate for being the third? Well I can do it myself. "Nice job, Gaspard. You're good, but not good enough to win".
- Oh come on. I wanted to say "Congrats on getting through an amazing adventure." Now you move on and do something else.
- And learn your lessons, - Mika adds, - That's the most important part.
- Will you train us again, then? - I give him my sweetest grin.
- Oh, God, no! - our coach waves me away, laughing, but after that, replies quietly, - I don't know. Try to settle down with your life first, and we'll talk.
- Already working on it, - I agree, which is something he didn't expect to hear, as I see by his rising eyebrow:
- Really? - he says, leaning back on his chair, - Tell me, then. I may have heard you plan something many times, but I'm curious about your final decision.
I shrug:
- I think I'll take your advice and call that coach you told me about, and continue studying. If something else happens along the road, well... I promised Gas to work on whatever I'm offered.
- Huh. That's probably the best you can do now, 'cause at this point, you're really not in position to decline job offers, - Mika nods to Gaspard, - What you both need is to keep yourself afloat. Voice tour will help, of course, but after that, you're on your own!
- I think we'll manage, - I reassure him, reaching behind his back to touch Gaspard's shoulder.
- No doubt you will, - Mika gives us both a big warm smile, - Just keep in touch. I'd love to hear about it.
- Oh, don't worry about that. Now, if you may... - I jump down from the chair, and, in turn, take Gaspard's hand and pull him away from Mika, - We'll leave you be. We have a busy day tomorrow.
- What? - Gaspard reluctantly follows me, while Mika waves us goodbye and raises up from the chair himself. As we make it out the studio, I remember that I never actually told Gas about that attic apartment.
- Oh yeah, we kinda live in Paris now.
- We do? - he struggles to keep up, - Uh... Sure. Lead the way, then.