2.4 - Battles. Performance. Part 2

That's it. My adventure is over.

I feel betrayed.

- Do you have something to say to your coach? - Nikos suggests. I look at the microphone in my hand. It's a miracle I haven't broken it, because I've been squeezing it all this time. I slowly raise it and gaze at Garou. He smiles with the same soothing grin that I saw at the Blind Auditions.

- Thank you, - I say, and my mind immediately goes blank.

That's your last seconds on TV, Alice. Say something. Get your stuff together.

I take one more breath.

- Thank you for taking chance on me, - I say, - For this opportunity and this new experience. I will never forget this night. Thank y...

A blinding flash of light. That's the panel behind coaches' chairs.

- We have a steal! - exclaims Nikos.

As soon as he says it, I hear the same pounding sounds one after another. Garou grins and claps in joy. Mika nods me: "I told you"

- All three coaches pushed the button, - comments the host, - Alice, now it's your turn to choose.

- It's gonna be tough, - I lie, sighing in relief.

- Then let's figure out, shall we? Mika, why?

Thank God, my Mika is back. Like the sun came out. His half-smile makes me feel better. It was acting all this time.

- I regret I didn't choose her on the Blind Auditions, and I know I can't miss her once again. Let me just say that she'll be a very good experiment material, - he makes a smile that suspiciously resembles a troll face.

- Florent Pagny?

- Well... Despite everything, she has a very interesting timbre. She's also shown that she can easily step out of her comfort zone, and it gives a quite wide range of work we can do together. Second time's charm, I guess, so, Alice, you're always welcome in my team.

He even bows a little. Such a sweet guy, I could have chosen him, actually.

- Jenifer?

- I like her growl, I like her flexibility. I like the way she behaves on stage. It would be a pleasure to work with her.

You know what? I like her as well. Mika is Mika, but she is a great artist too. There's a real chance I could choose her. So I didn't lie about the tough choice, actually.

After all, it's me who chooses now, why can't I play a little?

I feel so relieved and happy that my sassy mood comes back to me and I decide to take a little revenge on Mika. I keep looking at Jenifer and Florent, like choosing between them.

- I would not say that, - I tell Bartoli, - I'm a big trouble.

- Well, I love challenges, - she replies, shrugging, just like Flori.

- Do you really think you could fix my technical issues? - I ask Florent.

- Sure I'll do everything I can, - he nods. My inner troll jumps in joy as I see that Mika is getting worried and tries to get my attention back.

- Hey, you said she's not your voice, - he protests, not sounding serious, though.

- You said she's too hard for you, - replies Jenifer. Florent purses his lips:

- Perhaps she's more universal than I thought. Do you understand that with the proper training she can sing anything?

What? They didn't tell me about it!

- That's the point! What will you make her sing?

- Oh, I do have some songs...

- Guys? - I wave my hand to get attention before they get deeper in details, - I mean, it's nice to hear and all, but can I, you know, pick a coach first?

I hear Garou giggling. Jenifer quietly agrees: "Yes! Let the girl make her choice!" as the coaches immediately straight up and sit still and silent.

I take a deep breath:

- I choose...

Quick glance at Mika - that's right, he's worried. Hells yeah, he deserves it.
Not much though, I'm not a monster.

- I choose... Mika.

- Yes!

He jumps up with a short victorious exclaim and looks at me with accusation as I go down off the stage. He catches me right from the stairs and gives me one more warm hug. Gosh, it still feels weird.

- You're a dirty troll, - I whisper and sense a puff of his breath on my ear - he laughs.

- No more than you, little trickster. Never do that again, - he replies, then suddenly leans down, grabs me by my knees and throws me in the air. I have nothing left to do than squeal, while he carries me bridal style backstage. Florent and Jenifer applause with the audience.

- Sorry! - I shout to them, then catch an approving nod from Garou and Mika puts me down, so I can say goodbye to him. After all, he's the reason I'm still here, he's the one who gave me this chance, right?

- Thank you, - I say. He gently squeezes my shoulders.

- Good luck. Mika is a tough coach, - he replies.

- We'll see who's tougher, - I retort, and he takes a second to think about it.

- Can't disagree on that. One thing's for sure, it'll be an interesting ride. For you both.

As soon as I leave the scene I'm caught in another bear hug, now Flori's.

- I knew it! - Flo shouts, and we jump, holding each other, like little girls, - I knew he would steal you!

Then it gets to me.

I'm in Team Mika.

Mika is my freakin coach. It's real. It's happening.

Holy. Mother. Of God.

I hold my new friend closer and rub her back, as always, one thought twinkling in the back of my mind. Knowing my karma, I can surely say: if it's too good, it means that something bad is about to happen.