3.4 - Knockouts. Performance. Part 1

Tonight is the night.

I feel like I'm going on the Hunger Games - it's awesome, it's an honor, though it's scary as hell and I might get killed.

- Relax, - says Lenny, our new stylist, as he gives me my outfit, - It's just the Knockouts. Trust me, Live shows are much worse. If you screw up now, they can always reshoot it. You won't be able to do it after.

Yep, it makes me feel much better.

I glance at my outfit. Thank God I was given my usual clothes - a black baggy sweater and black shorts - yes, again.

Especially because just a minute before Lenny looked at me and said that my make up was too heavy and almost wiped it all off. And I was going to kill him. My make-up is my only armor, I can't afford giving it up.

- Team Mika - to the studio! - staff call out just a moment after I'm dressed up.

We walk through a familiar corridor and stand in line on the stage. It's different - there's no barriers, and we have the band on the background. Coaches greet us with smiles, but, judging by Jenifer, they're all tired. There's no surprise - it's, like, 12 am, and we're the last team.

I hear the host telling about the rules, something like "they will compete one by one, in a group of three and bla bla", but I focus on looking for my girls in the audience.

- Mika, - says Nikos, - What three contestatnts do you choose for the first Knockouts?

Lights go down. I find Andrea and Justine, catch Juss' enthusiastic "thumbs up" and can't help grinning.

- So, the first group will be... - Mika spoke, - ... Max...

The steampunk anime boy steps out. He has a very low voice for his age and as much as I know, he sounds quite... professional. I wouldn't try to compete with him.

- ...Constantin... - Mika continues. Not me, good. I cross my fingers, when he pronounces the last name, - Amelia.

Emily takes a step forward. She's a nice girl, I don't want her to be kicked out. I mentally wish her luck, while the first group leaves the stage.

- The second group, - Mika announces again, - Is: Gaspard...

He steps out. Weird, I haven't seen him backstage. He looks very confident. What happened to that shy boy on the Blinds?...

- ...Janine... - the coach continues, as she joins Gas. I'm sorry for the one who will be the third.

- ... And Alice.

And again, like on the Blinds, I freeze. It's a nightmare. It's a fucking death sentence. Tell me it's a nightmare and it's not real.

I would rather get hit by a car and break a leg than have to go through this.

Sorry, I freaked out again. I sigh and step forward.

- Gaspard, Janine and Alice - the second group will be performing... - Nikos continues, but I don't listen to him.

Backstage, we're waiting for our turn. I can't get no rest and keep walking around, fiddling my hair again. Janine or Gas. Gas or me. Me or Janine. I don't know if Mika has it all planned ahead. What if I screw up? What if I forget everything he taught me? What if I let him down?

It's like I'm a teen again : insecure, awkward and nervous. I thought I got over all this stuff many years ago.

- What do we do? - I ask Gaspard in despair.

- We... Sing? - he just says. Well, of course, but...

He's right. You're overcomplicating things. Again.

- Your hair, - Gas adds, - Stop touching it, or you'll spoil the hairstyle.

He needs to be my guru. I focus on my clothes, checking if everything's alright.

I'm pretty today. And when I'm pretty, I believe in myself and everything goes smooth and sweet. I remind this mantra of mine and repeat it until I actually feel better.

So, yeah, Alice. We hold on to our luck and sing. We just get through it. It will be over soon.

We hear muted applause from the studio, then the group comes out. When Emily sees Gas and me, she squeals in joy and rushes to us.

- I survived! - she exclaims, - I survived the Knockouts!

I notice Max - he looks quite satisfied too, so I guess that he is the winner as well.

- Second group! - staff announces and we're lead back to the studio.

Janine and I stand on opposite sides of the stage. Gaspard takes his place in the center, by his little keyboard.

We wait till the hall gets silent, and he starts playing. I can see that his knees are shaking a bit, but his hands play the part with serenity and concentration of a surgeon.

Then he sings, and I can almost feel magic spilling out in the air. He has got a lot, lot better, even though I didn't think it was possible. Mika works miracles.

Too bad they had to cut the song down to a minute and a half. It all ends before we realise what happened. Audience burst in a round of sincere applause, as Gas takes a reticent bow and steps back, giving the mic to Janine.

Silence again. I wonder what she's going to sing, expecting some classic stuff, for obvious reasons. But then, I hear synthesizers and modern beats. I recognize the song immediately, and when I do, my heart drops.

It's the freakin Diva Plavalaguna's Aria from the movie "The Fifth Element". You know, that impossible opera part. It takes years of practicing to perform well. Janine is insane.

However, she must have practiced it before, because she sings it seemingly with no effort, and as far as I remember the original song, she hits all the notes. Judges look impressed, especially Florent. Mika has his unreadable "worried coach" expression, so I can't guess if he's satisfied.

All in all, Janine nails it and is rewarded by loud cheers from the audience. I feel nauseous as she turns around and comes up to me. I automatically grab the mic and slowly walk to the spotlight. I don't want to go, I'm not ready. Give me some more time, let me at least calm down. Gosh, what do I do.

I'm not ready. I can't perform. I'm screwed. I'm so screwed.