°Zetsubō°

-•Desperation•-

It had been a couple months now since Overwatch had managed to stomp out the omnic outburst in Kings Row. Still, you were in the Swiss Headquarters, running the medical ward.  You had been reading through all of Doctor Zeigler's notes on her 'revival remedy'. Apparently it had only taken her a year to perfect the formula. Previous strains had reverted back to its dead state moments after revival, and the next strain sustained life longer before completely dematerializing. You looked up from the notes when you noted the change in light. The sky outside the windows had clouded over.

Standing up, you went to check on your only remaining patient, Agent Deitrich. He was sleeping soundly despite having previously gone through a surgery to remove a bullet from his thigh. You watered the potted plants at his bedside, gifts from his wife, you presumed. You heard the door slide open and turned to face the new arrival.

"Commander Reyes," you greeted with a smirk.

He scoffed, "I don't remember the last time you were so formal." He stood beside your-- Angela's desk and looked out the windows. "How are you holding up?"

You shrugged and moved to sit back in your chair, "Alright, I suppose. Mending wounds is much different than making them, but at least the doctors listen to me."

He was silent for a moment. "You've really got a hand for this, don't you?"

You have him a puzzled frown, but he was turned around and didn't seem to notice,"Well, I wouldn't say that. In a pinch? Sure, but for as long as I have already? My nerves are frayed already, Gabriel."

The silence stretched.

A sigh.

"(Y/N), Blackwatch is going downhill, you need to have something to fall back on. The public is discussing a ban on Overwatch activity and the omnic crisis is almost over."

You were shocked that he had practically just confessed to looking out for you. Caring for you, even.

"Look," you growled, "If you think you want what's best for me, put me back in Blackwatch. I was trained from the age of six to defend myself, and at the age of twelve I began learning how to kill. So don't give me that crap. I bet you didn't pull this with Genji or Jesse."

Yet again, another stretch of silence.

Gabriel turned to you with a chuckle, messing with your hair and giving you a pat on the back. "I'll see what I can do to get you back," he smiled down at you, a rare sight.

"mejor vea a ella, el Sr," you replied. He laughed and began to walk out the medical ward.

"Your Spanish accent is getting better."

"I practiced," you yelled after him, watching the doors close behind him.

You were about to go back to Angela's notes when you heard a cough. Mr.Dietrich was sitting up in bed, looking rather guilty and amazed at the same time. Oh goodness gracious, he must have heard the conversation.

You went to his bedside with a glass of water. "You're awake again, are you?"

"You two seem close."

"Are you feeling any residual pain?" You deflected.

"He was practically treating you like his own kid."

You paused.

"So he was," you mused.

~=~

You had just sent your patient off with his wife when the Gabriel busy in again.