6

James was waiting for them, expecting the boys to return separately. The bounce in Evan's step disappeared as he realised this wasn't over yet.

"Hey, did you two do it this time?" He called.

Connor nodded as they reached James. Pulling the cash out of his pocket, he actually split the stack evenly for once and handed half to Connor.

"I'm gonna walk him home," he told him, gesturing towards Evan, who fought back a smile and the fluttery feeling that surfaced in his stomach. It wasn't that hard, considering the man he feared most at the moment was standing right there.

James glared at him, pulling Connor to the side.

"Don't forget, you're my toy. I share you with people and I don't ask you for anything in return. You better not fall for that twink." He growled.

"I won't," Connor assured him, "he begged me to walk him home so I gave in to shut him up."

"Good." James glanced over at Evan, who was standing there awkwardly. He could see and hear exactly what they were saying.

Pressing Connor against the wall, James kissed him forcefully, trying to assert a petty dominance over Evan's will. The younger boy just watched, his heart pounding in his ears, until James let Connor go.

"Don't go for a round two, my boy is sensitive," James warned Evan before backing away to leave.

Connor took Evan's hand and crossed the street with him quickly. Once they were around the corner, he dropped his hand and tucked his own into the pocket of his jacket.

"That was..." Evan began, frowning at both the messed up actions of James and the cold, empty space in his hand.

"Normal," Connor finished for him, wiping his mouth with his sleeve.

"No. That's not normal," Evan told him firmly as they walked. "You didn't consent to that, that's considered harassment."

Connor shrugged, looking down at his feet.

The atmosphere was quiet and brisk. Evan shivered and rubbed his hands together in order to warm up, which didn't help all that much.

"Are you cold?" Connor noticed and unzipped his jacket, sliding it off to hold it out as an offering for Evan.

"Oh, n-no I can't..."

"Yes you can. Take it," he insisted.

"Aren't you cold too?" Evan inquired, hesitantly accepting the jacket.

Connor shrugged.

Deciding it was pointless to argue, Evan pulled on the jacket. It was a bit big on him, but that made it comfier. He could still feel Connor's body heat in it, making the clothing feel like a big hug.

"Thanks," he mumbled, stuffing his hands into the pockets.

"No problem."

They kept walking in silence, Evan leading the way towards the college.

"So..." Connor started, kicking a rock along the pavement. "How old are you?"

"I turned eighteen last month. What about you? I assumed you were around the same."

"Yeah, I'm nineteen," he confirmed.

Another beat passed with only the sounds of their shoes tapping on the sidewalk. They crossed the first somewhat busy street, which separated the poor side of the city from the regular part.

"You're in college, then? Since you don't live with your mom...?"

"Yeah, I'm an english major. And my roommate slash best friend is studying astrophysics."