15

Evan awoke slowly, as usual, reaching over to check his phone for the time.

He was surprised to see three notifications from Connor. Sitting up as he read them, his heart sank at the words.

Immediately, he sped to send back a reply in hopes that Connor would see it as soon as possible.

Evan: Oh my god Connor are you okay?

Evan: Please be okay

Evan: You're not an inconvenience at all, I chose for you to be in my life. I really enjoy being around you. I admire you as a person, you're so strong and I need you to stick around.

Evan: If you see this text me back please I need to know that you're alright.

His breaths got shorter and more labored as he thought about the different possibilities. He tried not to think of the biggest one, which only made him think of it more.

Jared stirred in his sleep from the next bed over, but Evan didn't notice over his screaming brain. Jared sat up and looked over at the boy, who was now shaking and hyperventilating. He hurried over and waved a hand in front of Evan's face.

"Ev? Look at me. You're okay, everything is alright."

His breathing didn't let up.

It was hard to not pull him into a soothing hug, but Jared knew better than to touch him when he was like this. Instead, he continued to say calming, meaningless words to try to lure Evan back to reality.

"Listen to me, buddy. You're right here, in your safe, warm bed. I'm here. Me, the insanely cool Jared Kleinman, your best friend. You know me. And you know Zoe and Alana and Connor," he told him.

"Connor," Evan repeated, the dazed look in his eyes starting to fade away.

"Yeah, your new boyf-uh, pal."

"He's in trouble," he mumbled, blinking a few times. "Jared, he's in trouble we have to help him he texted me last night I don't know what to do we need to find him or something-"

"Slow down," Jared risked touching him, placing his hand on Evan's knee, "it's okay. It was just a dream."

"No," Evan objected, holding out his phone for Jared to read the messages.

"Oh my god..."

"What do we do?" He whispered, looking up at Jared with a helpless expression.

"I don't know," Jared admitted.

Evan closed his eyes, trying to get the images out of his head. He couldn't stop imagining what would happen if Connor was dead.

"Hey," Jared spoke softly, trying not to panic him even more, "it's alright. We'll find him. Just calm down and try to think clearly."

"Maybe... Maybe Zoe would know something," Evan decided, opening his eyes.

"Let's text her," he suggested, taking Evan's phone again.

Ev🌳: Hey, Zoe.

Ev🌳: Connor sent me some unsettling messages last night, I was wondering if you might know how or where he is

Zo-yo: what??

Zo-yo: no, i have no idea

Ev🌳: Oh god

Zo-yo: shit this is not good

Zo-yo: do you know where he lives?

Ev🌳: No, i've never been to his apartment