38

Saturday.

Connor awoke to find Evan missing from on top of him. The sunlight was unavoidable considering he had slept in the middle of the house with no blankets to cover him. He yawned and stretched his limbs, then rolled off of the couch into a standing position.

As he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, he waddled toward the kitchen and the source of a delightful scent that was permeating the rest of the house.

"Good morning," Evan greeted cheerfully from the counter, where he was sipping a mug of hot coffee.

Connor shuffled over to him and kissed his cheek softly.

"What's cookin' good lookin'? It smells amazing."

"Cinnamon rolls," Evan answered, smiling shyly at him as he took a seat in the next chair over.

"Oh god, I can't wait," Connor sighed, his mouth beginning to water at the thought of breakfast. "My cinnamon roll making cinnamon rolls. How poetic."

"Your cinnamon roll?" Evan blushed at the thought of being Connor's anything besides his best friend.

"Yep." He sent him a suggestive wink. "Oh, don't forget we have plans tonight. I'm taking you out at five, but I have to prepare before then."

"Oh geez, that's in a long time. What am I supposed to do until then?"

"I dunno. You'll figure it out."

"I'll see if Jared will hang out with me," Evan decided.

"Okay. I'm going to go talk to your mom," Connor told him. He stood up, but lingered in front of Evan for a moment. Leaning in briefly, he kissed him on the lips before walking away, leaving a blushing Evan in his wake.

Once upstairs, he walked cautiously through the open door of Heidi's room to find her putting on the finishing touches of her makeup in front of her vanity in the corner.

"Oh, hey Connor," she greeted, looking at him in the mirror. "What's up?"

"Hey, uh... I was wondering if I could ask you a favour."

"Sure, go ahead."

"So, I've been applying for jobs online for the past few days and I got a callback from Subway yesterday," he explained.

"What?!" Heidi turned around to look at him, her eyes now lined thinly with dark brown eyeliner. "Sweetie, that's amazing!"

"Yeah," Connor chuckled at her enthusiasm. "The interview is today. I was just wondering if there's any chance you could drive me there, if you don't have work or anything."

"Of course," she answered, standing up from her chair to walk over to him. "I don't normally go to work as often as I have this week, by the way, just so you know. My manager has just been sick this week and I've been filling in for her, but she's back now so I'll probably only go in twice a week, like usual. But yeah, I'd be happy to take you to your interview. What time is it at?"

"It's at eleven."

"Okay, that works for me. Actually, Subway is right across the street from my place. That'll be perfect if you get the job."

"Yeah, I was applying in that area so it would be more convenient if I need a ride there."

"You're such a considerate kid," Heidi sighed, looking up at him and touching his arm in an affectionate, motherly manner. "Your mom must miss you so much."

"I, uh..." Connor looked away from her uncomfortably. "Yeah, I guess."

"Sorry," she apologised upon seeing his reaction. "I'm probably overstepping my bounds. Anyway, what all happened between you and Evan last night?"