chapter 5

I follow Hayes out the door and I can feel the heat on my face. yup, definitely blushing. we walk down the drive way and sit in the car. its so cool! I've never been in a convertible. Nash starts the car and we head for the beach. "the boards are at the beach with matt, but you are going to have to pick out one so you can surf as well."

he looks back at me and I put my head in my hands. "I don't have any money," I say for the second time. " yes you do," Hayes looks at me, " you still have 50 dollars." I remember that its in my pocket.

"um , ok" I take it out and hold onto It tightly. when we get to the beach Hayes helps me out of the car and we begin to walk. he leads me to a shop and I look for a board that I like. I stop in front of one and immediately fall in love. oh my god! its so freaking awesome. it is white with a really pretty water pattern on it. I pick it up and buy it at the register. me and Hayes head down to the beach and sit with Nash and Jessica.

I watch the water and smile a bit. it's been ages since I've been at the beach. I see with the corner of my eye someone tackle Nash and then Hayes and a bunch of others doggy pile on top. I wake from my day dream and see Hayes laughing on the sand and Nash taking down another guy and laughing as well. I stand up and see if I recognize anyone. nope.

Hayes stands up and pulls me towards the crowd. "okay, everyone. this is Chris." they look so fun loving. they all say things out like 'hey' or 'someone's got a girlfriend'. I laugh. "Chris, this is Cameron, Jack, Jack, Carter, Taylor, Matt, and Shawn. yay! everyone's here!" he points to everyone there and I wave back. "let's hit the water!" Cameron yells and everyone runs into the water and begin to paddle on their boards.

I sit on the towel we laid out. I don't want to go in. I watch Nash and Jess catch a wave together and I also watch Carter get hit by a wave. I laugh. I see Hayes waving we towards them. I shake my head. that would mean I would have to wear my bikini.

he rolls his eyes and begins paddle again. I guess I could sit on my board a little bit. I stand up and take off my crop top. I am definitely not taking off my shorts. I pull off my shoes and grab my new board and walk towards the water.

I quickly pull my hair up into a messy bun and jog into the water. when I get about waist deep in the water I lay on my board. I begin to paddle in towards the group and when I get there I sit up. " you made it!" Nash says with a smile. " ya, I was waiting for the waves to get big and then ride them." I, from experience am a good liar.

"okay, lets see, we'll both ride that wave over there and the rest of the group will judge us. let's see how good you really are." Nash smiles and I lay down on my board and begin to paddle out. we both go under a wave and begin to pick up speed. oh, yeah. paddle then turn, then stand. 

we paddle out towards the wave and then we turn. I stand up and for the first time in 8 years, I was surfing. I love it! I get excited and decide to show Nash who's boss. I twist at the top and then swerve across. I'm a natural. yes! I look over at Nash and see his facial expression. he's obviously shocked. I do another twist and then watch him. he attempts the same move except he fails and is swallowed by the wave.

I laugh and raise my arms. the group cheers and I laugh. I let the wave take me back and then watch Nash's head bob up from the water. he gets on his board and swims towards us. "well you're skilled. holy crap that's hard." he lays back on his board and I laugh. " actually, it's kind of easy."

I look over at Hayes and he laughs,"okay. you are pretty good. c'mon Cameron. all three of us will go." I laugh "okay" I begin to paddle followed by Hayes and Cameron. I look up and see a wave. I go under it and begin to pick up speed. I see a good wave and get ready to stand. cam and Hayes are beside me and are obviously aware of the wave.

all three of us begin to paddle and then stand up. we begin to surf down the wave but then Cameron does a twist like I had. so does Hayes. so I've got competition. I do instead double twists and then a 360 turn. I'm surprised to find that I'm still standing. Cameron attempts and like Nash fails miserably. I look over at Hayes who does the double twist and then a swerve.

he's good for an amateur. I crouch down and begin to pick up speed, it was a trick I taught myself that actually worked. nice. I got ahead of Hayes and then freaked him out by crossing in front of his bored. he falls and I pull out another swerve and then ride the wave back to the group. they all clap again. I laugh. " anyone else?" I ask and then laugh.

they all laugh with me. Cameron and Hayes were both paddling back with wide eyes. "okay, you are better obviously" Cameron says laughing. I smile and then lay on my bored.

we all paddle back to the shore and dry off. Nash and Jess go and get drinks while Shawn, Cameron, Jack, Jack, Carter, Taylor and Matt go get food. me and Hayes stay back to stick the boards in the sand and clean off the towels so we can sit on them.

I look over at Hayes and smile. our eyes meet and I laugh. " I cannot believe that you beat me in surfing." he laughs. " well you were not easy to beat. you're really good." I say. he is that's why I had to cross him. If he hadn't had moved he would have been fine.

he lifts his hand and I high five it. I laugh and then sit down beside him. " it's good to be back in the water again" I say watching the waves crash onto the shore. " I think that's where you belong. you were amazing and you looked so happy," he smiles a little, "  if this is what makes you happy, then this is where I will make sure you are safe." he smiles and then grabs my hand and knots his fingers between mine.

I smile and watch the waves curl up and hit the shore.