Chapter 35

1 month later.

(Hayes's POV)

I still can't process the fact that Chris is dead. Her dad shot her at the beach. We shouldn't have left. I should've said no. It's all my fault. I cry myself to sleep every night now.

I am so beyond depressed. I can't live without her. I was hospitalized a couple weeks ago for suicide attempt. Apparently I'm crazy. And I'm in a mental hospital for testing. My moms gone crazy over me. Nash is depressed. I hate her dad so much! he ruined everything.

She was my everything and he took that from me. This is how I spend most of my days now. In my room with no glass or electronics grieving over Chris and crying. Tests, needles, ECT.

I even talk to my self now.

"Attention everyone!" the announcements say, "bed." I get up from my corner and walk over to my bed. The nurse comes over to me to make sure I'm safe and then everyone goes to bed.

*Midnight*

I wake up suddenly. I sit up and cry. I had been looking for Chris. But she wasn't beside me. I rub my eyes and see a figure.

"Hey." She says. I try to focus and then I begin to cry again. It's Chris. "Oh. Hayes don't cry." She says kneeling beside my bed.

"How?" I ask. That's the first word over said in 2 weeks.

"Hayes, babe listen, I was given a gift from god to come talk to you." She says.

"I miss you so much." I say crying.

"Aw, Hayes I miss you to. But you have to listen to me. Okay?" she says.

"Okay. I promise." I say.

"Hayes, as you know, my death was not a fair way to die." She says. I nod. "but my death shouldn't do this to you. I am in a better place. No fear or sadness. I have my mom and all my loved ones who have passed. I am constantly watching over you."

"I know. I just miss you. And I love you so much." I say.

"I love you to Hayes. But you have to move on." She says.

"No." I say quickly.

"Hayes, I am giving you permission to move on. Find another girl to love, don't let my death ruin your life. Your heart is big enough for 2. Do you understand?" she says.

"Yes." I say nodding.

"When it's your time, to leave the physical world, I'll be the first person you'll see, and we'll be together and we'll be happy. Please just live your life. You only get one." She says.

I nod. "But you never got a fair one." I say sobbing.

"Shh." She says. "You made my life complete. I lived for you and I know that there is another girl waiting for your love."

I nod again. She puts her hand on my cheek. It's warm like always. I hold it tightly.

"Remember my favourite quote?" She says.

"Yeah. Um, it's ' you don't get to choose whether you get hurt in this world, but you do have a say in who hurts you'." I say remembering.

"Live by that quote. Don't let my passing hurt you." She says. I nod and smile. "Here," she says climbing into my bed and resting her head in the crook of my neck.

"Hey babe, I love you." I say repeating my last words I said to her.

"And I love you." She says.

"I promise, I'll never forget you." I say kissing her forehead. She nod and sits up.

"Good bye my love." She say kissing my forehead and then disappearing. I lay there smiling. I can finally say...

I am at peace.