Something The Prince Never Knew

Today is the day Ruru grieved. The day that he prayed would never come or at least, come later. The day, he wished on every star, that would be centuries away. This was the same day his daughter spent her whole lifetime waiting.

   Man, did he never want this to happen.

   "Baba, I'm getting married!" she squealed and bounced in front of him like when she was a little girl.

   "Really? That's great, Princess," he smiled and pulled her into a hug. He hugged her tight and caressed her hair. Ruru knew it wasn't the last time he was seeing her but, she was getting married. His princess that he gave his time to, the very same one he cried to God for, the very same one that was twirling in front of him and dancing ballet, the very same one that he fed at night, the one he so willingly tired himself out for, was gonna be someone else's queen.

   "Baba, are you okay?" Noelle asked as she broke away from the hug.

   "Of course, sweetheart. Okay lang ako. I just can't believe my little girl is getting married. It was like yesterday, I was holding you in my arms with your head on my chest, and now, you're engaged," he said and looked at her face. She looked more and more like her mother as the years gone by.

   "Baba, I'll still be your little girl," she said as they sat down on the couch and cuddled up to her father.

   "I know that, Baby. I just hope he'll take good care of you because if not, nako," he said jokingly.

   "Baba, he will take care of me, I promise. At kung hindi man, I'm a black belter," she joked.

   "I guess those taekwondo and arnis lessons will be put to great use then."

   "And don't forget the muay thai and kickboxing."

   "Well, you have to thank your mother for that."

   "Baba, I'm gonna miss living in this house. I'm gonna miss you and Mama and Kuya din but he doesn't live here naman eh. Mami-miss ko yung every morning may breakfast na and stuff like that," she said and started tearing up.

   Ruru wiped away her tears with his thumb, "Hey, huwag kang umiyak. You're supposed to be happy. Ako dapat yung umiiyak."

   "Baba naman eh!"

   "Don't cry na, Princess. You're engaged na oh. All grownup na," he said and felt a little sad.

   "Dapat ikaw din, no crying ha?"

   "Hindi naman ako umiiyak ah," he denied.

   "At dapat talaga di ka iiyak," she joked.

   "Iyan yung hindi ko mapapangako."

   "But you're happy for me naman diba, Ba?" she asked like a little girl.

   "Oo naman. I'm so happy that you finally found the one for you," he replied and put an arm around her.

   "He's like you in so many ways, Baba, I swear."

   "Really? Kasing gwapo ko din ba?" he joked.

   "Siyempre, wala pa din tatalo sa kagwapuhan mo," she replied and put two fingers under his chin.

   "Ganyan dapat kahit kasal ka na, ha? Si Baba pa din ang pinaka gwapo sa buong mundo."

   "That will never change naman eh. You are my standard, Baba."

   Ruru couldn't help but feel so proud of himself and his daughter. It feels so good to be told that you were somebody's standard especially, your daughter. He knew right then and there that they raised her right.