Christmas Shoes

Inspired by the Christian Bautista's version of this song because he's just AMAZING! And because I think I haven't given enough time for Amir to actually be a kid. Also, to make bawi for the last one shot. Again, sorry for that one.

Hope you enjoy this!
------
She smiled when the sweet aroma of her dish filled the air. Kylie was sure her family would love it. This was their favorite dish of hers. She took the wooden spoon and tasted just a little bit of the sauce.

"Lablab," Ruru called.

Kylie jumped in fright, "Anak ng-! Love, naman! Ba't ka nanggugulat ng ganyan?"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you," he laughed and wrapped his muscular arms around her petite body and lay his chin on her shoulder.

"Asshole," she mustered under her breath.

"You married this asshole though," he grinned and kissed her shoulder.

"Because I love you," she smiled and turned around to pinch his nose.

"Bad," he pouted. That adorably innocent and childish pout that he was slowly mastering from their kids.

"I love you, Baba."

"Love, are you pregnant again?"

"What?! Ru, Noelle just turned one and you're asking me if I'm pregnant again. Hell no, I'm not pregnant!" she pushed his chest.

"Eh kase, ang lambing mo bigla. So, I thought-"

"So, bawal ako mag-lambing sa asawa ko ganon?" she cut him off and raised an eyebrow.

"Hindi. Eto naman, tampo agad," he said lovingly and hugged her tighter and lifted her a few inches from the ground. "I love you, Lablab. Forever and ever."

"I love you too," she kissed his cheek like a shy schoolgirl.

Then, Noelle's screams and wails were heard from the baby monitor. Kylie laughed, "Your princess awaits you, Baba."

He grunted in return and started heading to the nursery.

Kylie looked at the wall clock and realized it was too early for lunch. She looked around and noticed that Amir wasn't reading in the living room or playing like he usually was. She decided to see what the boy was doing and walked to his room.

"Amir?" she called as she opened the door, the hinges making a creaking sound.

Her forehead creased as she saw her firstborn wrapped in his blanket like a burrito. She sat on his bed and heard his little sobs.

"Kuya, what's wrong? Do you not feel well?" she anxiously asked as she touched his forehead. He wasn't hot so, that's good.

"Hey, what's up? Why are you crying?" she gently asked again with her voice more persistent. "Tell Mama what's wrong, Kuya, please. You're making me worried."

The boy faced his mother, shocking her with his bloodshot eyes and tear-stained face. Kylie quickly wiped his tears away with her hands like a reflex.

"Lovie, what's wrong? Please tell me."

"You'll laugh at me i-if I tell you," he managed to say in between his heavy sobs.

"Hey, when have I ever laughed at your sorrows?"

"Never," he shortly replied.

"Exactly. You can tell Mama anything, you know that," she soothed. "Come on, what's wrong?"

"A while ago, when we listened to Christmas songs," he started and Kylie nodded along, "Ninong Christian's versions of some songs played."

"And?"

"And there was this song, 'Christmas Shoes'. It was about a guy who payed shoes for a little boy that wanted to give it to his mama because she was," he couldn't continue as if a lump in his throat had formed, "She was."

"She was what, Anak?"

"Dying," he whispered it as if it was a taboo and a fresh set of tears started pouring out of his precious eyes. "And I couldn't imagine how sad it is to lose your mother and on Christmas pa."

He stopped to breathe.

"I don't want that to happen to me, Mama," he looked down and bit his lower lip to hold in the sobs, a mannerism he inherited from Kylie. "I don't want to lose you."

Kylie was shunned by the words that she heard from her Amir. It suddenly struck her that he was only five years old. They often forget how young he was because he was always so mature and independent and responsible. But it was moments like this that reminded her that Amir was only a child and still so vulnerable to pain.

"Oh, Baby! You won't lose me. Mama's just here. I'm not going anywhere, mahal ko," she hugged him close to her and kissed his head.

He gently broke away from the hug, "Don't ever die Mama, please? I need you, Baby Noelle needs you, Baba needs you, we need you, Ma," he requested as if he was just asking for candy.

"Lovebug, everyone will die and you need to understand that. Everybody dies, Sweetheart, Mama, Baba, everyone," she explained. "But I promise to not go to heaven until you don't need me na."

"Pinky promise?" he said and stuck out his pinky finger.

Kylie smiled and hooked her pinky finger to his, "Pinky promise. I will always be here when you need me and even when you feel like you don't. I'll be here always and forever, Baby."

Amir nodded and hugged his mother, "I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what, my love?"

"For crying," he said through a muffled voice.

She gently lifted his head to look at her, "Amir, listen to me, okay? You should never be sorry for crying. Tears are okay, Lovie."

"Even for big boys?"

Kylie nodded, "Mhm, even for big boys. Crying is a brave act because it means you aren't afraid to show your emotions. And besides, there would be something wrong with you if you didn't cry. Wanna know a secret?"

He nodded.

"Mama and Baba cried when you and Noelle were born because we were so, so happy," she whispered.

"Really?" he asked, eyes wide with shock.

"Yup."

"I love you, Mama," he hugged her again.

"I love you too, Baby."

"I'm not a baby, Noelle is," he whined.

"Yes, but you'll always be a baby to me."

And for the first time in pretty long time, Amir let out a 'Hmp!"